Adobe Drops Creative Suite, It's All In The Cloud

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by cambookpro, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Adobe has just announced that it's replacing (? - unclear at the moment, but that's what it seems) its Creative Suite with their subscription-based Creative Cloud:

Photoshop CC seems like a good, if not huge update from CS6, but I guess the real news today is Adobe's shift to the cloud - better for piracy? Better for personal or business users? What do you think?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/...utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Quite a gamble if it does pan out to be accurate.

I'm not a fan of subscription based software but I can see at times it does make sense.

3. SMDBill macrumors 6502

Looks like the future of computing where so many software makers will require subscriptions in order to create a constant revenue flow. Most of us want to buy a product and use it until the end of its useful life, but this keeps us coming back to stay connected and able to use the software. Instead of buying a license to use software we just get a subscription to it and have no control over it whatsoever.

I have a Chromebook, which is pretty much a cloud based OS. If Google were to someday start charging a monthly subscription fee I think the herd would be running for the gate and they would end up without a user base. I hope this type of subscription service remains tied to larger suites like MS Office and Adobe's Creative Suite only.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.