Adobe Flash: Chrome and Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael Goff, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I've noticed that using Adobe Flash in Chrome causes the fans to kick on (and take a while to stop), as opposed to Safari where it doesn't kick up the fans so often. I was wondering how this makes sense. It's Adobe Flash, it's using the same website.

Chrome loads it faster, yes, but I don't know if it's worth it since it kicks up the fan.

2. 960design, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

960design macrumors 68020

Flash is sandboxed in Safari and Mavericks does lots of little tricks to save cpu cycles / battery usage.
    Chrome doesn't.

Why do you need Flash installed?

3. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I don't get that either. I use Safari for general use, firefox for speed, and chrome for flash.

4. tdc02 macrumors newbie

Question- I'm new to MAC, but on my MacAIR in Safari I just got today, when I open ESPN to watch video it tell me to download flash.

I'm not following why mentaluproar & 960design, you don't need it. Is it something else I need to run or what? Just asking.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Try youtube5 from verticalforest. It doesn't work everywhere though, which is why I keep chrome as a plan b, which has it has flash built in. I don't like flash for security reasons, so I like to keep it separate from my main browser.

6. tdc02 macrumors newbie

Thanks, understand now. I'll more likely download Chrome or firefox and use it on my mac.

7. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I have used both and while some of firefox still feels outdated, it runs circles around chrome, at least the versions I currently have. Both are faster than safari, but safari has the benefit of having better gesture support, zooming behavior, reader support, and much better battery life.