Adobe Flash in Webdesign

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Laurencia7, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I need some reviews and some help. I tried viewing a website I am working on with my friend's older ipad and the flash I incorporated did not work. I mainly want to know if you guys can see this animation... and if newer and the majority of iphone and ipad users now can play flash.

I don't want to lose the animation but if the majority of people cannot see it I will have to. Are there alternatives to flash like if I converted the file to something else more universal?

http://lbc-productions.com/JessieHarrell/Destined.html

Let me know asap, Thanks
    L

2. molingrad macrumors member

For all intents and purposes flash is dead for web design. Apple iOS devices can't see it and google bot can't crawl it so it's bad for SEO. In addition it almost always seems to slow down web pages.

HTML5 and CSS3 is the future. Adobe edge is a flash like program except it pumps out HTML 5. It's still in beta and I'm sure most purists will reject it but if your familiar with flash cs it's pretty easy o pick up, also it's free right now at the adobe labs.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

iPads and iPhones have never been able to view Flash websites. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If your building your Flash content in Flash Professional CS6, you can and should try the HTML5 export using CreateJS.

The CreateJS toolkit is a free download for Flash Pro CS6 users.

There are obviously some things that you can do to your Flash project that don't export properly to HTML5, but most things work just fine.

If phone and tablet viewing are important to a web designer, Flash needs to be avoided. iOS devices can't view flash at all (unless the user is using a remote flash processing browser like iSwifter) and Android devices don't work all that fantastic with Flash.

6. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Flash will be dead in a year unless you want to play flash games. No iOS devices will play them and I actually wish it would disappear faster.

7. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I did know that I just needed to confirm it. What about animated gif?
    If I converted the flash content to an animated gif? So HTML5 will replace flash completely? or will another program do it?

8. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Animated gifs are fine. They are just images played one after another. But flash is a big no-no. HTML5 is the replacement for Flash. Maybe we'll see something else in the future, but for now, HTML5.

9. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Besides the color limitations animated gifs are fine. Incorporation them into we design is outdated however and substantial animation can result in large files and page load time.

10. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still in the process of trying out a few things. I might have to go with just a jpg with a embedded link.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

12. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

As i said earlier, flash will be dead. Mobile browsing isn't just a niche market anymore, it's a substantial market.

13. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I still seem to run into more flash videos and content than anything else. I really hope it doesn't take years for the Internet to move on.

14. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up using a rollover image. Thanks for the info.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

flash wont be dead, just no longer good for browsing. design/players/ etc.

flash will still be used across the industry for animations.

16. dramtulla, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

dramtulla macrumors newbie

Adobe's CS6 line unleashed the HTML5 CSS3 engine on multiple applications, including Flash and Fireworks, to say Flash is dead is a myth, most design houses (including ours) anticipate that from CS7+ adobe flash will be compatable with ALL current browsers and also include multi-touch action scripting capabilities, stop with the 2009 view that flash is bad for seo as that is also a lie, google at there conventions have said they have gone out of there way to be able to iris flash animations.. also to take the view that "everyone's" browsers can handle html5 and css3 is the main key to loosing in the web world.
    Be smart and make both...

17. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever