Adobe Flash on Mac Gets Second Critical Security Update in Just Two Weeks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe for the second time this month has released Flash Player security updates to address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of Mac, Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS systems.

Adobe gave the security fixes its highest severity rating, meaning users should immediately update to the latest Flash Player version through the built-in update mechanism, or by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center.

Adobe said the security updates resolve a use-after-free vulnerability that could lead to code execution, as discovered by Google's Threat Analysis Group. Adobe said it was aware of the exploit being used in "limited, targeted attacks" against users running Windows 7 or later only, but Mac users could still be affected and should update out of an abundance of caution.

Affected versions of Flash Player for Mac:
    Adobe Flash Player version 23.0.0.185 and earlier
    Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome version 23.0.0.185 and earlier
    Mac users running Flash Player 11.3.x or later who have selected the option to "allow Adobe to install updates" will receive the update automatically. Likewise, Google Chrome will automatically update Flash Player to version 23.0.0.205. Select "About Google Chrome" under the Tools menu to verify the browser is up-to-date.

Safari on macOS Sierra deactivates Flash by default, only turning on the plug-in when user requested. Chrome, Firefox, and most other modern web browsers also have web plug-in safeguards in place due to repeated security risks. Adobe has released a dozen Flash Player security updates over the past year.

In 2010, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs penned an article called "Thoughts on Flash" in which he favored open web standards such as HTML5 over Adobe Flash. Jobs said Flash Player was "the number one reason Macs crash" and criticized its performance on mobile devices. "Flash was created during the PC era - for PCs and mice," he wrote.

Article Link: Adobe Flash on Mac Gets Second Critical Security Update in Just Two Weeks

2. Xavier macrumors 68030

Delete this trash and avoid all these issues.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You should add a new time count on the front page that follows the last Flash Player security update.

I think it looks good.

Untitled.png

4. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

I permanently uninstalled flash a long, long time ago

5. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

I wish Adobe would just discontinue flash so we can all move on...

6. mattburley7 macrumors 68040

do i even need to install adobe flash when i get my new macbook pro? majority of videos/content play without it now?

7. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

Someone should lockup Flash, iTunes and PlayStation Servers in one room and beat them to death.

8. techpr, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

I also deleted this app more than a year ago. It's no longer necessary. If you care about security you should delete this app immediately.

IMG_0752.JPG

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I actually feel bad for those that need this program. I'm going on 4 years of a flash free lifestyle and have never looked back.

10. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

Pity the maintenance team in charge of patching Flash - they must be permanently fighting fire with all the exploits happening

11. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

How do I remove Flash from my MacBook? I thought i'd removed it from the applications folder but the damn flash update appeared yesterday!

12. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Yes, you don't need it. For the rare thing that needs Flash you can just use Chrome. You don't need Flash installed.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Don't forget Java!

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Oh my heck... Please, MacRumors, do this.

15. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

I believe in system preferences. Down at the bottom...

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm getting to sick and tired of this crap. When is Adobe going to put this old dog down? There are still some instances where I have to use Flash content for my work, such as everything in HR like network security and purchasing card compliance videos. I also hate that so many news sites will deliver HTML video content on iOS but not on desktop. So I end up with a big block in the middle of the screen that says Flash is disabled until I update. I always check that stupid box for Adobe to install updates automatically and it never works. On my personal MBP I don't even mess with Flash. Isn't some future version of Chrome supposed to stop supporting Flash?

17. iorangutan macrumors member

iorangutan

As did I.

18. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

19. iorangutan macrumors member

iorangutan

The vulnerability also affects Flash Player for Chrome. Also Chrome isn't going to support Flash for much longer.

So, for the rare site that still uses Flash, visit another site...

20. mattburley7 macrumors 68040

doesn't safari now disable adobe flash player by default?

21. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Flash? People still use that? I removed Flash completely months ago. If I really need to visit a web site that relies on Flash, I open the site in Chrome, which has it’s own enbedded, sandboxed version. I can’t recall the last time I had to do that though.

22. techpr, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

23. 2457282 Suspended

I know there are some bad (and big) companies that refuse to convert their apps to something other than flash. Thankfully, I have dumped them all and moved on with life. For those stuck using those apps, I am truly sorry.

24. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

We'll tell you when you're older.