Adobe Flash Player 11 . . . Or NOT ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lugesm, May 16, 2012.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have a 27" iMac running 3.4GHz Core i7 with 8GB memory and the latest version of OSX 10.7.

Some Internet web pages (CNet, for example) have videos that will not play on this computer. I get a message that I have no "Flash" player. True.

Question: Is this Adobe Flash Player safe (virus, etc.) on my iMac? Any other problems with it . . Conflicts ? ? ?

Thanks for your help.

2. simsaladimbamba

To get the official version of the latest Adobe Flash Player (NOT A VIRUS), you can go here.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the advice.

Question: If I download this Adobe Flash Player and decide I don't want it at some later time, is it easy to uninstall?

Some such programs get loaded on the Mac, and then it is almost impossible to get them off. I just had such an experience with a Safari extension.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have seen you post this a few times, and it is outdated and incorrect. The most recent malware outbreak Flashback would infect a Mac by simply visiting a compromised web site. Nothing needed to be installed by the user and no admin password was needed. You just went to a web site and you were infected.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Flash can be safe if you install the latest version and keep up with security updates.

Do you have the latest version of Safari (5.1.7)? It has specific changes to insure safety in this situation (it will automatically disable any version of Flash that isn't up to date).

Rob