Adobe Flash Player Known Issues?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by rrm74001, Nov 6, 2015.

1. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Anyone else having issues with Adobe Flash Player and El Capitan?

I have had 3 hard crashes since upgrading to El Capitan on release day when viewing fullscreen YouTube videos.

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Flash player IS an issue by itself.
    Get rid of it.

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

4. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

What version do you have installed?

5. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Just remove Flash completely from your Mac and disable it in any browsers that have it built-in (e.g Chrome). Then, clear your browsers cache before visiting YouTube with your newly Flash-free browser. You'll get a modern HTML5 YouTube experience.

I have have not used Flash on any of my many computers for over two years and haven't missed it one bit. Flash and Java are the two worst remaining security nightmares in the browser. Both of those POS plugins need to die in 2015.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It doesn't really matter: there isn't a good version of Flash.

7. cynics macrumors G3

That's fine if you can limit your usage but the majority of popular streaming sites still require it.

Showtime Anytime

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.33.16 AM.png

HBO Go

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.34.07 AM.png

Hulu

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.36.57 AM.png

Max Go

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.38.58 AM.png

Crunchyroll

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 9.40.26 AM.png

I also run into a ton of issues with many News sites still. So depending on your usage, doing away with Flash at this point is not a option until these sites decide to move to HTML5.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You should ditch those sites entirely...
    There isn't a single good reason to use flash in 2015, if not for lazy web designers

9. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Ditch Hulu, Showtime Anytime, HBO Go, etc? That's a non-starter, for many. I can't go for that, oh-no, no can do.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yep... If they continue to use a ridiculously old, buggy and unsafe technology

11. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Your choice.
    Go ahead ranting about how slow and hot your Mac using the browser is, not speaking about security holes, while "enjoying" that masterpiece of software...

13. swirlx macrumors newbie

Yep, I had the same issue on a fresh install of os x multiple times. I will never install flash again and have it run on my system. I use chrome browser to view flash related content like twitch tv. I will never install that and java on my system. Last thing I want is a messed up hard drive because of the hard crash related to the stand alone flash.

14. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

OK, we get it. The thing is, Flash and Java compromise the security of your Mac. As everyone else who has commented has said, get rid of them. If you want to see content that requires Flash, use Chrome, it will allow you to see Flash content without installing Flash. Did I mention???

USE CHROME!

15. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Yet funny enough I'm running 19.0.226 without a single problem with Safari on El Capitan - maybe I'm just the luckiest guy on earth.

16. Bbeelzebub macrumors member

Bbeelzebub

While it's all cute and fun when people say, "get rid of it", "flash is an outdated relic", etc....... People who live in reality accept that you have to use Flash for some websites. As for your problem, a reinstall may help, try the flash remover app from adobe's site.

After that, if you really want to prevent Flash running havoc on the web and serving you up junk and storing files on your computer, Go into the settings in system prefs, block all sites from storing information on your computer. Then you can go into the Safari prefs and turn it off and only turn it on when you need it, or you can do as I do and block it for all sites except the few sites you know you'll need it. Simple as that. When I go to a non authorized site, no flash starts and I get the message to install flash. For sites I know I want to use flash, they load normally. You can alternately set every page to "ask" rather than "allow" or "block" if you choose. I block everything except for spotify, google music and speed test.net personally.

Additionally, there is click to flash, but I like my method better. The only site I've ever had issue with is for Verizon FIOS live tv on the net, but that is because they are idiots and I rarely watch tv on my computer with them anyhow.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I wouldn't go that far to suggest the use of a Google product to protect the security of my Mac, but surely flash is so crap that for some Chrome could be a "necessary evil ".

Without a single problem ... having a resource hog and security hole always opened aside.
    Enjoy.

I definitely live in reality, and I don't have flash installed on my Mac.

18. LittleDavid macrumors newbie

LittleDavid

I just uninstalled Flash. It seemed like an accident waiting to happen, on top of the annoying constant updates.

19. cynics, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

cynics macrumors G3

Kind of defeats the point doesn't it? You do know the plugin in Chrome.

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 8.19.00 AM.png

Is the same from their webpage...

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 8.19.12 AM.png

With some additional security features which are no where near foolproof right?

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...y-potent-enough-to-infect-actual-chrome-user/

So your solution is to not only still have the security risk but also do it in a browser I don't particularly like?

One could argue that the sandboxing of Safari in combination with flash has similar security which admittedly can cause problems playing media.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/removing-sandbox-restrictions-your-safari.html

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

again, the only solution is to ditch it entirely, thus forcing the lazy web designers to update their websites ....