Adobe Flash secures set-top deal - it's taking over!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Apr 20, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Seems like a pretty big win for Adobe. :eek:

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Im not all for closed source stuff...but the proliferation of vector based animations across technology CANT be a bad thing.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not if they make the horrible players for osx.

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Better Flash than SilverLight. I still haven't installed SL. There's no earthly reason WHY M$ had to go and do that. Then, they get that partner thing going with CNN or whoever for the Oath of Office to help the disease spread...

Closed source or not, Flash has been around for aeons (internet-wise) and has years or development to back it up. It's becoming more accessible with each release (as much as they can anyway), so it's moving the in right direction that way. As long as the the era of Flash intros with gargantuan load times have become passé, I'm good.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind. Some type of standard had to be set eventually, and Flash is OK with me since it's used so often anyway.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If Flash is really going to take over, perhaps the long term answer will likewise be a hardware flash solution even for PCs and mobile phones? It would be nice to take the inconsistency of Flash across platforms out of the equation.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Are you really that happy with the GARBAGE flash player we have been stuck with on Macs that you don't want any competition out there making Adobe try harder?

I think a better flash player is coming though. I think Steve has demanded it.

8. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

I'm with you on this one. The reason that m$ invented SilverLight is called "Not Invented Here". Kind of like C#, as their response to the Java/Sun lawsuit thing.

I call it SilverFish. It's annoying that I keep getting prompted to install it if I go to the m$ website. I always say no.

9. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I hate flash. It will use 100% of my cpu and reduce battery life to 30 minuets. I have games that use less power than flash on my computer.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

By December you won't be saying that.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Care to elaborate?

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Not really. :D

hehe

13. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

This can mean one of two things:

Quicktime X is going to offer massive speed gains for the playback of flash media and adobe are going to simply licence the codec to apple so they can optimise it themselves seeing as adobe can't even take the code of the PC version and make a decent plug-in out of it for intel based macs, let alone the PowerPC. If I remember rightly, flash originated as mac only to start with, although I may be wrong.

or

Apple are going to integrate an extra chip on future motherboards that handles flash, H.264 and Mpeg4 de-compression but still use 2 year old laptop CPUs with only 2 cores just to annoy everyone who was expecting Core i7s in the Mac Mini/iMac line up.

14. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It could also mean I don't know what I'm talking about.;)