Adobe Flash & Software Updates

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VFN, May 5, 2012.

1. VFN macrumors member

Hi, I'm actually writing for my father who owns a Macbook Pro but is somewhat neglectful so I'd like some help. His OS is 10.7.3 I believe.

First, I helped update his Adobe Flash, but instead of the installation process occuring through the site a package was downloaded. Mac can't download and install Adobe Flash real time like a PC or am I doing something wrong?

Second, is there a website that shows the history of software updates for the Macbook Pro and his OS. I know that there's an icon on the bottom of the screen that lets you know that updates are ready but my father misses that. If there's a history, I can notify him that he needs to download an update.

Thanks,
    V

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Use this link to get the latest version of Flash, http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you use Google Chrome for your browser, Flash is built in and updated automatically for you.

As for Software Update, I don't know of any history page outside of http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Using Software Update on occasion is the best method to keep up to date.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I think maybe he was referring to system preferences>software update> installed software?

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Automatic background updating of Flash for Mac is in beta and will likely be in the next update for Flash.

5. VFN thread starter macrumors member

@SandboxGeneral Yeah, but I think that link downloads a folder to your mac which you then have to open to install flash. Mac doesn't work like a pc for adobe flash updates then.

I guess I'll tell my father to use Software Update every now and then.

Thanks all.

V

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not quite...but you should see a screen like this;

this is pretty much cross platform, and you need not worry too much on the Mac side of things...Windows requires the use of up to date AV and Anti Malware Apps... A lot of what has been posted recently is entirely valid and care should be taken...scan ( if on a Windows PC) watch the dialogue box on a Mac...

Attached Files: