adobe flash???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by YellowScream, Aug 18, 2012.

1. YellowScream macrumors newbie

Just got a 2012 MBA yesterdays its awesome.But anyway I have been ghosting the forums and a lot of user's say they do not use adobe flash. Why is that when a good percentage of videos on the web are flash.Is flash that bad for mac os

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, but some websites don't function without it. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not bad for the OS or for Macs in general
    Some just prefer other alternatives

I rarely have a need for flash myself and use ClicktoFlash or other plugins

4. YellowScream thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, might try one of the alternative you guys listed.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I'm not particularly a fan of Flash, its the primary cause of crashes in internet explorer / safari in my experience. However, as 90% of web video content still relies on the technology its pretty much essential.

6. Barna Biro, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Flash is fine... but just like with any other technology, there is a quite large group of people who don't know how to properly use it and they end up creating a ton of poor quality content. The technology itself is Ok, but the way many people use it is far from ideal... As others have pointed out, there are ways to block it if you really want to...

Most people dislike Flash just because Jobs had a problem with it ( business you know... everyone is protecting his own stuff ) and said that it's "Evil". There are definitely really, really, really badly written Flash application out there too, but the same can be said by all the other technologies as well... Adobe sucks at PR and they were never really capable of cleaning Flash's name as a technology. Many people "hate it", but almost none can really explain why ( nor do they understand )... if something crashes, is slow, eats up battery, etc. it's easier to just point fingers at the thing you see many others pointing their finger at than actually sitting down and try to understand what happened. :)

Flash is Ok, but it is far from perfect and there are definitely many crappy applications written by complete beginners out in the wild... just that things aren't as "horrific" as some try to make them seem. Many companies / banks / institutions / etc. use Flash based applications on a daily basis... if Flash was really that evil, it would have died out ages ago ;)

7. lowbelly macrumors member

Just install flash, and the 'click to flash' extension. Then you get flash only when you want it and it's just like not having flash installed the rest of the time.

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

Just install Flash and use it. Don't listen to all the Apple propaganda that it's evil.

9. minik macrumors 65816

I understand that Apple no longer bundled Flash plug-in for quite some time now. However, Disney is still part of the Safari bookmark collection. Disney.com gave you a 'lack of Flash plug in' warning right out of the box.

10. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    what he said

11. YellowScream thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahaha thanks everyone I just decided to gone head and install it.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

13. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Sarcasm? HTML5 is still in baby-pants...
    I personally doubt it will be able to do what Flash can anytime soon.

Just like a crap-load of people misused ( and continue to misuse ) Flash, they'll misuse HTML5 just as badly... they'll write just as crappy scripts ( can't call those things "code" ) using Javascript as they did / are doing in ActionScript 2.0 or even ActionScript 3.0

99.9% of the time, the technology isn't the one to blame, but the people using it in an incorrect / abusive manner.