Adobe! Get away from my computer!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -Ryan-, May 8, 2010.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I just closed my windows to the desktop and have found this monstrosity:

[​IMG]

I do not have any Adobe products installed on my computer, nor have I had since I bought it. (aside from Flash, but that comes via Software Update). What has caused this to happen, and how did AIR get on my computer without telling me first?

:mad:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried downloading the latest version of Air? Maybe it came with some app

3. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

I haven't installed any applications in months, and even then, they wouldn't be anything that would come bundled with this. I've searched through the whole Library folder for both my own used and the system root and can't find any references to Air. :eek:

4. Rogue. macrumors regular

5. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Some apps use adobe air and install with them at times. Some twitter apps like tweetdeck for example. You must have installed an adobe air dependant app.

6. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok well in the case of Air coming onto my computer in a legitimate way, how would I go a about getting rid of it? There is no mention in the Applications/Utilities folders, in my Library folder anywhere or in the HD Library folder. It must be there somewhere but I can't find any removal instructions. :eek:

7. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

BBC iPlayer and some Twitter clients use Adobe Air. Also some stock trading software as well.

9. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't even have an Adobe Air folder in the Frameworks folder. In fact, the folder is empty.

The only things that there is even a remote potential might have installed it is Google Chrome or Skype, but I don't think they have. :confused:

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

Plug-in for your browser?

11. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Your probaby not finding it due to the installation failing as shown in your initial post screencap. You could try searching for "Adobe Air" using either EasyFind or Find Any File apps. But be careful what you delete using these. Have a current Time Machine or Cloned external backup available.

I love EasyFind. I prefer it over all the app uninstallers. Yes I'm a geek, I constantly try them and compare results. :D

12. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! I've looked through both of those but still can't find anything. I've searched for "air", "adobe" and "adobe air". The only result I've had is Adobe Ideas for iPad. As far as I'm aware, there is no way it could put Air on my system. This problem is happening regularly, whereby 3 failed installation messages appear on my desktop. They never steal focus, but always happen in the background.

13. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Hit your spotlight.
    Type Air.
    Choose aIR uNINSTALLER.

14. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

My problem is that I don't and never have installed Air. There is obviously some rogue component of it floating about on my computer somewhere trying and failing to install. :confused:

15. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Maybe a website your visiting is triggering this? I have no idea, sorry. The only other suggestion I can think of is to visit the developers website of each app you have installed and see if theres any mention of Adobe Air in the requirements. This MAY reveal the culprit behind this. Aside from this I'm out of ideas. Good Luck.

16. yukio macrumors regular

i'm pretty sure that adobe slip in the air binaries with the acrobat reader installer.

and - now that they've turned on "silent updating" od reader - they might've silently delivered air at the same time.

17. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't have it. I've also checked my Applications and none of them install Air with them. Anyone have any final suggestions as to where this is hidden?

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Great apps thanks.

19. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Your welcome.