Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Adobe Illustrator 2020 is hot summer day dog slow in every single process when using my 4K monitor, UNLESS I set it up to boot, via Users & Groups, with the OS/system. If I do that, Illustrator screams in every respect, as it should on am 12 core with 48 Gb of RAM and an m.2 boot drive. Once I quit Illustrator and reboot it, without rebooting the system/OS, it goes back to slow, with the grabber hand and image movement jerky and laggy. I have to reboot the system to get Illustrator to not suck. InDesign 2020, well, forget it. It's lousy on my 4K and nothing makes it better.

No issues with my 2K at all.

Is this an issue with the app, Catalina (10.15.1), my card, the 4Kness of my monitor, or maybe a driver, say, like the Wacom tablet one that seems to load slowly at system boot up?

Last edited:

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Turns out it was my Display Preferences setting. Changed it from the 4K Samsung monitor default To Apple RGB and BOOM!

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Wow! Thank for this @jeffhalmos This worked perfectly with my LG Ultrafine 5K on my 12-core MacPro 4,1->5,1. It was so sluggish before, now the display colors did change a bit.

This being slow with the default ultrafine 5k color profile has to be an apple or adobe bug I suppose. I think it is maybe when you choose a profile that has P3 color gamut that it makes everything sluggish. I wonder if this is a problem exclusive to our old trusty MacPros 5,1 or other newer Macs have this issue too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffhalmos

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Wow! Thank for this @jeffhalmos This worked perfectly with my LG Ultrafine 5K on my 12-core MacPro 4,1->5,1. It was so sluggish before, now the display colors did change a bit.

This being slow with the default ultrafine 5k color profile has to be an apple or adobe bug I suppose. I think it is maybe when you choose a profile that has P3 color gamut that it makes everything sluggish. I wonder if this is a problem exclusive to our old trusty MacPros 5,1 or other newer Macs have this issue too.
It's got to be Adobe's issue, though, I did find that iTunes was sluggish in Mojave but Music in Catalina and Big Sur are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.