Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
I am sending a Design for a book cover to the print shop this week. On the phone he said we need you to package the fonts or something or other so we have them and they print correctly. I was thinking of sending an eps so the machine would see this project as a picture not seperate typefaces but he said he wants all the work in PDF. Its going to be a 4 color cmyk process. Anyone know how to save out the fonts I used in this project for a print shop?
Your help would be much apreciated, Thank you.

On a side not, does anyone know how to save microsoft word docs as a pdf?
I think I need acrobat reader or something

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Just create outlines out of all the text, and it will work. No need to collect any files, or save in any specific way.

And if you're using OS X, you can turn a .doc into a .pdf by opening it, clicking print, and then "save as .pdf" at the bottom of the print dialog box.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
One thing you could do with your Illustrator file is to convert all the type into outlines before you save as a PDF – that will solve any potential font issues.

If you really want to keep them in there as fonts though, when you save as a PDF there's an option to embed the fonts.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Thanks for the help guys. I created outlines on all text then saved as pdf. This should be good for the print house now Im hoping.

BTW any way to uncreate text as outlines down the line if I need to edit the text?

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Sorry this is off topic, but Jaffa Cake, your avatar is cool, it's a Subuteo guy right? I haven't seen one of those in years. We used to play with them as kids, had the field, goals and everything.

You can't get them here but we had a relative in Northern Island that use to send it over to us for Birthdays and X-mas etc.

Anyways...sorry a bit off topic.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Sorry this is off topic, but Jaffa Cake, your avatar is cool, it's a Subuteo guy right?
Yep, it is indeed! Well spotted. ;)

And just to get us back on topic... Espnetboy3, JasonElise1983 offers some sound advice – always make sure that you save off an 'editable text' version of your file. You don't want to find yourself in the situation of the client wanting to do some last minute changes at the eleventh hour and you having to part-rebuild your artwork. It's also useful if they want a reprint at a future date and want some amends doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.