Adobe Illustrator: Go for CS4 or wait for CS5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waynechriss, Apr 8, 2010.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

I saw a deal on a site selling Adobe Illustrator CS4 for $200 which seems like a steal compared to the original $500 price tag. But I hear that Adobe updates their software everywhere, CS5 coming sometime this Spring?

I'm graduate school bound and wish to get started doing some computer art and illustration (going to major in computer animation) so i wanted to know people's opinion bout buying outdated Adobe software. Should i go for the cheap CS4 or wait till CS5?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

CS5 is supposed to be announced within a week... I'd wait. If you'll be going to school shortly you'll get an educational discount anyway.

3. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

The CS5 announcement is imminent. In the past Adobe would ship you a free upgrade (for $10 shipping) if you purchase within 60-90 days of the announcement. If you need it, get it. If there's something in CS5 you need, get it for $10 more.

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

+1

I'd wait, besides. once you get to school, for about the same price, you'll be able to get an entire bundle, not just illustrator.

Just grab a trial version if you're really itching to do something. I believe you can use that for at least a month.

5. charliex5 macrumors regular

6. Renese-Williams macrumors member

Renese-Williams

Can't wait. <3 Though, I can't even use CS4 cause it doesn't run well on my computer. :(

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Definitely wait for CS5.

1. Its supposed to be re-written in Cocoa, a HUGE plus for speed/stability.
    2. The installer package is supposed to be gone, another HUGE plus.
    3. Not sure about illustrator but some of the new stuff photoshop can do is great.

As others have stated you will be able to get an educational discount which usually gets you the entire suite for around $400 or $500.

8. ArtfulDodger macrumors newbie

ArtfulDodger

I'd personally wait for CS5, my friend has been telling me some great new features that are going to be included including how much more faster and stable it's going to be.

However, if you really do need it then I guess you could get CS4 and then purchase a $10 upgrade later on if it's possible, not sure.