Adobe Inviting Users to Beta Test Illustrator on iPad Ahead of 2020 Launch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe is in the process of inviting users to beta test its upcoming Illustrator app for the iPad, according to a MacRumors reader and Twitter users.

Illustrator for iPad is designed with an emphasis on Multi-Touch and the Apple Pencil as input methods, and the app also takes advantage of the iPad's hardware, including the camera system. For instance, you can take a picture of a hand-drawn sketch and the app will help you transform it into vector shapes. Files are saved in Adobe's Creative Cloud, so you can start a project on the iPad and continue on the desktop, or vice versa.

Adobe has committed to launch Illustrator for iPad in 2020, but it has yet to provide a specific release date. Users can sign up for early access here.

Illustrator for iPad will follow the release of Photoshop for iPad last year.

Article Link: Adobe Inviting Users to Beta Test Illustrator on iPad Ahead of 2020 Launch

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Oh boy! Come test our gimped version of Illustrator for iPad!! Half the features for the same price!!! CALL TODAY!!
It’s called a beta for a reason. But if you want to be like that, remember when Apple overhauled their iWork suite and stripped all of the apps of any sort of functionality and slowly added features back?

Reactions: Websnapx2

macdrej

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2017
It’s called a beta for a reason. But if you want to be like that, remember when Apple overhauled their iWork suite and stripped all of the apps of any sort of functionality and slowly added features back?
Sure, I also remember how everyone was justifiably upset about that. It's hardly a good example to follow. With FCPX, they lost a significant number of users with that approach who moved on and never trusted apple pro apps again.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Oh boy! Come test our gimped version of Illustrator for iPad!! Half the features for the same price!!! CALL TODAY!!
You know you don't pay for it if you are already getting the suite (or even just the Desktop version). You only ever pay for it if you have no subscription. So you are partially (accidentally) right ("...for the same price!!!"), but only because you will have already paid the price to have the Desktop version — this, like the photoshop version — is more of a companion app than an app meant to completely stand on its own.

That being said, it looks great for either starting a project or quickly modifying one the go, but I don't see a lot of very complex work completely existing solely in this environment. But I can't wait to try.

mozumder

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
iPads illustrator really needs accurate control over spline curves.. We need that to make fonts. The crappy versions without that kills accurate drawing.

An iPad is the perfect tool to draw fonts, but none of the software currently truly supports it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I have switched from photoshop to affinity photo & from adobe premiere to Lumafusion for video editing on my ipad pro, and I haven’t looked back. So as far as illustrator for the ipad, i do not plan on getting it either. There are plenty of great non subscription based drawing apps for the ipad like Procreate. I really wish Apple would release an ipad pro version of final cut tho. Then i’d have everything I need.

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I’ll prob barely use it, much like iPad photo shop. I find it best to just use sidecar with the real Mac app on the iPad screen

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
I have switched from photoshop to affinity photo & from adobe premiere to Lumafusion for video editing on my ipad pro, and I haven’t looked back. So as far as illustrator for the ipad, i do not plan on getting it either. There are plenty of great non subscription based drawing apps for the ipad like Procreate. I really wish Apple would release an ipad pro version of final cut tho. Then i’d have everything I need.
Who knows it may be coming. If you look at Apple’s YouTube channel there’s a video that shows that all of the iPad Pro commercials were edited on iPads with LumaFusion!

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Might as well use the new 14" mbp for this. ipad is a glorified iphone.

AppleZilla

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
On my maxed-out 16-inch MBP, Illustrator crashes every time I put it to sleep. With no useful help from Adobe (Nothing they suggested helped), I've gotten in the habit of just quitting the program before I sleep the machine. Hopefully the iPad version doesn't have anything like that annoyance.

I largely have a very good experience with the Adobe programs I use, and believe that the subscription price is worth every penny, so don't lump me in with those whiners.

arvinsim

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
I only really use Affinity Photo but I have all their apps to show support.

On my maxed-out 16-inch MBP, Illustrator crashes every time I put it to sleep. With no useful help from Adobe (Nothing they suggested helped), I've gotten in the habit of just quitting the program before I sleep the machine. Hopefully the iPad version doesn't have anything like that annoyance.

I largely have a very good experience with the Adobe programs I use, and believe that the subscription price is worth every penny, so don't lump me in with those whiners.
So the solution to your problem is to buy an iPad and move your workflow to your tablet? Look at Mr. Money Pants here!

arvinsim

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
I am pretty much satisfied with Lumafusion. I know that there is Garageband but Logic/Ableton on the iPadOS would be amazing!

Reactions: Greenmeenie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.