Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
The entire software industry has moved onto advertising based or subscription service models.

And it's not bad for the users too. You get a lot more updates than you would have gotten with traditional boxed software.
And yet... my top paid for apps (Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, Affinity apps...) were all one-off purchases that get decent updates.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
What a luck they don't charge us for downloading! They are so generous! "The professional photo editing software is free to download, but requires a $9.99 monthly subscription"
I'm happy with Affinity Photo.

Your unnecessary snark aside... Until they offer a DAM equivalent to Lightroom, and the ability to translate the non-destructive edits in my large LR library of edited photos non-destructively, Affinity Photo will never be an option I'd consider.

For me LR is a bargain at $9.99 per month; especially with their frequent and excellent updates. There's no reason to change.

Ricebucket

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
And yet... my top paid for apps (Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, Affinity apps...) were all one-off purchases that get decent updates.
Great for you I guess? But hate to break it to you, Apple is moving to this model too. iCloud, Fitness+, News, TV, Arcade, etc. We can take bets on when will Logic and Final Cut move to this model.

Reactions: jerryk

Ricebucket

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
The whole industry hasn’t. A lot of companies still offer their products as a purchase, instead of as a rent. Some companies offer both models, with certain differences to entice customers into the subscription model.

As a customer, I don’t find compelling renting software, so I’ll stick with traditional purchase model or move to open source. I haven’t followed adobe since I ditched lightroom, but if memory serves, it hasn’t been a plethora of updates since the move to subscription only.
The whole industry has moved... you just haven't realized it yet.

Look at the largest players in this market: Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. Look at all of the games studios, including the biggest ones (Blizzard, Epic, etc.).

It's only a matter of when, if they have not moved already. You can always find exceptions of course, just as you can still find a horse-drawn buggy.

And there have been lots of updates to Lightroom, except that they trickle in one or two at a time per update. You might not realize it because they don't come in a pack of 50 features at once.

What many customers like you do not realize, is that customers expect things from software that were *never* expected of software when it was sold in a box on a floppy disk or even CD. You want security updates? New features after release? These were never expected of traditional software. You were lucky to get a patch for a bug fix, once or twice, but certainly not at the frequency they come at now. (And software now is a lot more complicated, so there are more problems.) More frequent updates are never truly free. Someone's gotta get pay the developers. Since the requirements have changed, it's only sensical for business models to change too.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
And according to Fstoppers testing, Adobe has somehow made the software even slower. Bravo.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
No serious pro ever used Lightroom CC, they stick with Lightroom Classic.
Trying to organize different clients work in CC is a veritable nightmare. Pros use large hard drives/raids and maybe cloud for backup/sharing, not the other way around.

I'm a pro and I use it! I'm not serious?!

Different photographers have different needs. As an event and portrait photographer it's been perfect for me. I don't have to worry about backing up photos anymore (some won't trust Adobe here, but if they started losing photographer's photos due to server issues they'd be SCREWED. I'm assuming they have like 8 back ups of all their cloud stuff), it's so easy to share photos with clients (before I would export from Classic and upload to Google Drive and then share a folder, now I just get a share link for an album and email that), and as I'm just doing events/portraits, I don't need any instense editing tools or features that (I guess?) are missing from CC. And the best... stick my memory card in my Mac Mini, go downstairs and sit on the couch with my iPad and I can start editing almost immediately.

As for this update to M1, it was obviously the easiest for Adobe. Like what is there even to port? LR CC is really just a viewer for your photos which are stored in the cloud. It's a pretty straightforward program. Plus there's been CC iPad for years now, so that probably helped.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Ok, installed, compared to the pre-M1 version this can utilize all 8 cores when exporting RAW to JPG - but I actually find this worse than before, since when I let Lightroom export photos even the mouse cursor starts freezing and whole OS is unusable... before it took a bit longer but I could normally work since it could use only around 50% of cores if I remember correctly...
Memory usage is still heavy, Lightroom consuming ~12.5GB (which on my Mac Mini with 8GB RAM means swap :) ), but that is okay, memory should be used if it improves performance...
What I found in first quict test on Youtube ARM version is lame. Slower then Classic in Roseta.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
The whole industry has moved... you just haven't realized it yet.

Look at the largest players in this market: Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. Look at all of the games studios, including the biggest ones (Blizzard, Epic, etc.).

It's only a matter of when, if they have not moved already. You can always find exceptions of course, just as you can still find a horse-drawn buggy.

And there have been lots of updates to Lightroom, except that they trickle in one or two at a time per update. You might not realize it because they don't come in a pack of 50 features at once.

What many customers like you do not realize, is that customers expect things from software that were *never* expected of software when it was sold in a box on a floppy disk or even CD. You want security updates? New features after release? These were never expected of traditional software. You were lucky to get a patch for a bug fix, once or twice, but certainly not at the frequency they come at now. (And software now is a lot more complicated, so there are more problems.) More frequent updates are never truly free. Someone's gotta get pay the developers. Since the requirements have changed, it's only sensical for business models to change too.
I’ll just remind you that apple software is pay once (fcpx, logic pro x, there isn’t even an option to rent those), microsoft also offers perpetual licenses of windows and office, just two of the examples you provided.

I’m not bothering citing you the miriad of games and programs you can purchase as pay once.

The trend is to rent software, that’s undeniable, but I have a right to not like it and vote with my wallet.

Reactions: LV426 and SBlue1

locrumo

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2020
"Open-source is free as in free speech, not free beer." If you don't understand why open-source software can be free, then you don't understand the business model.
You can like and understand the garbage Adobe business model

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I’ll just remind you that apple software is pay once (fcpx, logic pro x, there isn’t even an option to rent those), microsoft also offers perpetual licenses of windows and office, just two of the examples you provided.

I’m not bothering citing you the miriad of games and programs you can purchase as pay once.

The trend is to rent software, that’s undeniable, but I have a right to not like it and vote with my wallet.
On the other hand, to use FCPX and Logic you need to firstly buy a machine with OS which will run it. The costs are already included there.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Apple Photos + Luminar as a plugin seems to be a much better option for me than paying $10 a month to adobe for gimped LR with cloud storage.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I’ve always wondered how popular the CC version of Lightroom is. You don’t hear much talks about it these days.
I use it on my laptop - my main Lightroom catalog is on my desktop in LR classic: that syncs smart previews to the cloud and I can then do edits, etc on my laptop when I'm not at my desk. I can also sync photos back to my main catalog via LR CC on my laptop if I need to

I couldn't imagine using it as my main photo management solution though - it's ridiculously limited (no plugins and still no printing support!)

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
this seems to be a popular software for reviewers of the M1 to use so I look forward to a slew of YouTube videos comparing performance of the M1 in rosetta vs native using this app even though I will never use it myself
Impatiently waiting on MaxTech’s updates ?

Ricebucket

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004

This post... are we really disagreeing?

You said the trend is to rent. Which is what I said.

And I said there are "exceptions," which you cited.

But the exceptions are going away. It's only a matter of when.

Apple offers plenty of services for rent. Including software-only services, like Apple Arcade. If this works out, then you can expect more to follow.

You can vote with your wallet all you want, but your choices will dwindle, and I'll bet sooner or later you'll find a crucial piece of software you need that must be rented. Just like you can live like the Amish and use wagons all you want. But if you need a car...

The only constant thing is change. And this is so much more true in the tech industry. If you do not quickly realize where the trends are, you will get left behind. (Perhaps this is more true for developers/publishers than for users. But when publishers move, users won't have much of a choice.)

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
The whole industry hasn’t. A lot of companies still offer their products as a purchase, instead of as a rent. Some companies offer both models, with certain differences to entice customers into the subscription model.

As a customer, I don’t find compelling renting software, so I’ll stick with traditional purchase model or move to open source. I haven’t followed adobe since I ditched lightroom, but if memory serves, it hasn’t been a plethora of updates since the move to subscription only.
I ditched all of my adobe software and not going back

Reactions: Manzanito

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
This post... are we really disagreeing?

You said the trend is to rent. Which is what I said.

And I said there are "exceptions," which you cited.

But the exceptions are going away. It's only a matter of when.

Apple offers plenty of services for rent. Including software-only services, like Apple Arcade. If this works out, then you can expect more to follow.

You can vote with your wallet all you want, but your choices will dwindle, and I'll bet sooner or later you'll find a crucial piece of software you need that must be rented. Just like you can live like the Amish and use wagons all you want. But if you need a car...

The only constant thing is change. And this is so much more true in the tech industry. If you do not quickly realize where the trends are, you will get left behind. (Perhaps this is more true for developers/publishers than for users. But when publishers move, users won't have much of a choice.)
We agree on the trend. We disagree in liking it.

I think is good for the customer to have a choice, I don’t consider myself an amish for that.

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
This was done intentionally to get more people to abandon Classic for the shiny new M1 version.

I use Classic myself but it's heading for the chopping block. Anyone using it for large workloads should start looking elsewhere now, so you're not scrambling when Adobe pulls the plug.

Reactions: henrikhelmers

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
This was done intentionally to get more people to abandon Classic for the shiny new M1 version.

I use Classic myself but it's heading for the chopping block. Anyone using it for large workloads should start looking elsewhere now, so you're not scrambling when Adobe pulls the plug.
Adobe has repeatedly said they have no plans to drop LrC support, and they've been adding in the same new features as they've been putting in Lightroom CC, such as the new color grading tools. They know that would be a final straw that would push away a number of customers. Lightroom is a much newer program with a much more modern codebase and which already has established Apple silicon code in the form of its iPad counterpart so it was the easiest to update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.