Adobe & others not bothering to write 64 bit code?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by eclipse, Apr 28, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    a recent Slashdot thread contained the following nugget. Not being a programmer, I decided to run it by you guys for comment. What do you think?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

CS5 for Mac will be 64 bit don't worry.

The other thing that the poster on Slashdot has failed to mention is that objective C interfaces can run C/C++ code natively anyway if you want.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Sorry, have I missed something? Can't tell the tone of that. :confused: I mean, aren't the updates every 2 years or something? That's 2010 before I can get my hands on CS5.

Whereas PC users get CS4 in 64 bit. PC designers will finally have their laugh at our expense. :(

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really as for most users it'll give only a 10% speed advantage (so it'll just make PC version as fast as the Mac one). Also on the PC only 2% of the market is using 64 bit Windows, so it won't have a big impact, though probably more than 2% of Windows using Photoshop pro's will be using 64 bit Windows.

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Have you seen a press release on Adobe's timetable for 64 bit? How do you know CS5 will be 64 bit?

BTW — if one googles "Adobe CS5" check out all the "pirate access" stuff.

BTW — I love the look of your D&D management stuff. Pity I had to grow up and have kids. :eek: Ahhh, those were the days. :D

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because if it isn't Adobe are officially lame. Its not that difficult to convert to 64 bit code. And because its Cocoa, it'll be the "new shiny" so they'll sell a lot of copies.

At the moment Apple is growing far to fast for Adobe to ignore them. Microsoft needs new management + 5 years or so before there is any change in that.

7. Nutter macrumors 6502

It is true that developing 64-bit applications is going to be a lot of work for companies like Adobe who have large Carbon code-bases.

However, this is Adobe's problem; it shouldn't be a source of concern to you unless you're using Photoshop to edit images larger than 4GB on a regular basis. This is nothing like the wait for the universal binary version of Photoshop, which had a huge affect on speed and memory footprint for all users.

The assertion that porting Photoshop to run on Linux would be easier than porting it to Cocoa is false.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

title needs to be changed since they are writing 64bit codes, just not for mac CURRENTLY.

9. John.B macrumors 601

John.B