Adobe PDF Viewer VERY slow in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aross99, Sep 25, 2008.

1. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

As many of you know, the AdobePDFViewer.plugin can be very slow the first time you view a PDF in Safari. It sometimes takes minutes to open a PDF the first time. After that it opens them almost instantly.

I know that I can remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin to make PDF display as is, but I would prefer NOT to do that.

What I have noticed though is that I can upload the SAME PDF to two different web hosts, and one opens instantly as it should, and one opens very slowly the first time. I have also noticed that on most sites, it works fine (ie Amazon.com).

This is very repeatable. I even looked at the HTTP responses from the two hosts, and they look almost identical, except for the version of Apache. The older version of Apache (1.3.37) seems to cause the plugin to open the files immediately. The newer version of Apache (2.2.3) seems to get stuck.

I know this is an Adobe issue, but since I have people who view my site using Safari and have the plug in installed, I would like to get this resolved.

Any suggestions (besides removing the plug in)?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why are you not just using the Preview application? It's built into Safari. There's absolutely no reason to use Adobe's PDF reader.

3. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Simple:

On OSX there is absolutely no need to use any Adobe software to view PDFs.

Apple's "Preview" is just as capable as PDF viewer, and far faster and smoother

As you said, the Adobe plugin for Safari takes ages to load. Apple's own buil-in reader works superbly.

Doobs

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I guess that's not the point, and the OP is aware of that... However:

I don't know how to solve this issue, but I guess it would not be appropiate to add a disclaimer to the website telling users to remove the Adobe plugin first... (Let's hope they use Windows! :eek:)