Adobe Photoshop CC constantly crashes on Retina Display Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by rociel, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rociel macrumors newbie

It crashes randomly, even when it is not used heavily. Sometimes unbelievably often while working on one project, sometimes less often. Not when I'm doing anything in particular. It was like this even when I was using CS6. I upgraded to CC hoping it would solve the problem. I am really stuck. Everything is up to date. I've tried formatting it. I've sent it in for repair, all to no avail. If somebody could help me here, I would be truly grateful. Here is my latest crash report. Let me know if there's anything else you might need.

2. jlehman macrumors member

I'm curious what will actually solve the issue. When it was sent in for repairs did they repair anything? Could you try disabling Automatic Graphics Switching in the Energy Saver Preferences?

3. rociel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've tried disabling it before but it didn't solve or improve the situation. I sent it in for repair along with 3 other problems, and they did not specify what they did to fix everything. Those 3 other problems have been addressed, but this crashing issue was not resolved. Perhaps they assumed it was, as it is quite difficult to recreate the crash intentionally. I suspected the wacom once even, but when I used just the mouse with the wacom unattached to edit some pictures, it still crashed.

And today, it crashed even when I was just streaming videos online. I can't understand this anymore. I am taking it back for repairs again tomorrow. This is really tiring and disappointing as it is a real inconvenience to my work.

It hangs and restarts and the grey screen will appear stating, "Your computer has been restarted because of a problem..."

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It sounds like a hardware memory issue, the same thing happened to me with my Mac Mini. I ended up changing out the RAM and reset the NVRAM, this seemed to fix the issue.

Apologies I do understand it's not a simple task of swapping out memory on a rMBP.

5. davideotape macrumors 6502

this was happening to me for awhile. i uninstalled and reinstalled and so far no issues. not sure what the specific issue was but it seems to have corrected itself with the reinstall.

but it wasn't happening to me with cs6 AND it sounds like you may have already tried reinstalling so i apologize if this is a useless post except to say i understand your frustration.

6. CHNO-Chris macrumors newbie

CHNO-Chris

This is one of those extremely difficult faults to diagnose. In a previous life I worked at an AASP, and this would have been a repair we hated. Likelihood is that the Apple diags are saying there's nothing wrong with the machine, but the crashes obviously) say otherwise.

Couple of questions that I'd ask:

Was this a brand new build? i.e. did you start from a fresh machine and install everything from scratch, or import from a previous build using Time Machine ?

Does this crash only occur when running CC? Any particular function?

My instinct would be to wipe and start afresh. That's clean OS, clean apps, everything. If CC still craps out then, you've got two avenues; Adobe and Apple. Also try and recreate the error without anything else attached to the MBP. Rule out everything except your machine and the software. Then give Apple as much flak as possible, in the nicest way you can manage. I suspect you've got a Friday afternoon machine that needs replacing; seen it several times before and Apple generally will replace it as a CS issue if you make enough waves.

7. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Is your rMBP rev.a or rev.b?

If it kept crashing, I would trash .plist files.

If still crashing, I would wipe / reformat the OS.

If still crashing still, could be the hardware issue.

That really stink...

Might be Adobe funking up your computer ;)

Edit: I'm on rMBP rev.b using CS6 (no way I'm not going to use CC - remember their servers were down and no one can't access to it for couple of days?!). No crash so far.