Adobe Photoshop CS5 on MBP help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I installed photoshop CS5 on my new 2011 MBP running lion and realized all my memory is being utilized and memory swaps are occurring. Thank goodness im running the 30day trial. Is there something i can do to optimize PS besides uninstalling it?

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
    8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
    MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

2. YEEZY macrumors member

I run CS5 for hours on MBA and it's fine. No fan or anything. Try uninstalling the extra programs it comes with? I know it takes up space and all that.

3. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Like what? Maybe Adobe bridge is the issue, No?

4. YEEZY macrumors member

Yes, I absolutely despise Adobe Bridge. There is no reason for it hahaha.

I use Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time for work. And my memory rarely passes 20% usage. It hovers around 11-14 right now, with them on. So I really don't think Photoshop is the issue at hand. Does it feel sluggish at all, or do the fans spin up?

5. kowalabearhugs macrumors newbie

kowalabearhugs

What are you doing with the system? If you have numerous programs open and are editing images at the same time then, yes, you will get memory swapping. In Photoshop, under the preferences > performance tab, you can specify the amount of ram you would like PS to utilize.

The next upgrade would be 2x8GB of ram (You can currently get 'em on newegg for around $350 per pair - OCW is often overpriced), but if you're doing serious work, you should also consider a SSD.

6. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Im hoping it is Adobe bridge setting up a cache. Im not running anything besides Bridge and PS. I will try uninstalling bridge. As for memory, Crucial only goes up to 8 GB

7. kowalabearhugs macrumors newbie

kowalabearhugs

If you go into the Bridge preferences, you can adjust the cache size, but that just alters disk space usage (maybe memory to a small degree?)

Also you don't need Crucial branded memory. One the biggest mistakes people make is thinking they need Apple/Crucial/OCW branded ram. Know your bus speed and choose memory with fast timings - it's that simple. I've run Kingston, Crucial, GSkill, Patriot, Samsung, random memory and have never had a problem running at stock speeds.

LMK if it was just bridge building a cache file.....

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I upgraded the memory in my Late 2008 MBP to 8GB the same week that I installed Lion. I was happy with the performance but did notice that RAM usage was higher but I simply rebooted and haven't noticed it since. Yesterday, I edited a dozen images from a recent shoot without a problem. So far, CS5 and Lion seem to be working well together.