Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
A week or two ago I installed Photoshop and Illustrator on my computer. With those two installations, I now have a TON of "Open With" options for images. It's a crazy long list of stuff I'll never use. I've attached a picture of what it looks like. Any way to remove those from that menu? And why are they all .exe? I thought that was a Windows program install file?

I noticed that they are available under applications in my AppCleaner program, and I could uninstall them. However, since I don't know what they do, I don't want to uninstall them until I'm sure I have no use for them. Are they used by Photoshop or Illustrator?

Note: These are older Photoshop/Illustrator programs, so it may not apply to the current versions. It's Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10.

Attachments

• Lots of "Open With" Options.jpg
    Lots of "Open With" Options.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 136

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Mine has always done that on any system I've the Adobe Suite installed on.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Is there a way to modify that "open with" list? I have many programs listed in there twice and there is no need for the redundancy. I imagine it should be a plist somewhere, but not sure.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
To get rid of the Photoshop "open with" items, go to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Samples. Right click on the "Droplets" folder, and select "Create Archive of Droplets". You'll get a Droplets.zip folder there in the Sample folder. Then delete the Droplets folder. That should get rid of the extra "Open with" items, and if you ever decide you want them back, you can simply double-click the zip file and they'll all come back. You may need to rebuild LaunchServices for these changes in the menu to take effect.

KD7IWP, simply rebuilding your LaunchServices database should get rid of duplicate entries and entries for deleted apps in that menu.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I have a related question. Why is it that when I open 'Aged Photo.exe' it actually..uh..opens..and works? I've never bene able to open an .exe on a Mac. Is this because it is integrated into the software?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yeah, Adobe has just chosen to use the .exe extension for plugins on all platforms. Executables can be compiled for any platform, and these are just cross-platform droplets that require the proper Photoshop app to function.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
To get rid of the Photoshop "open with" items, go to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Samples. Right click on the "Droplets" folder, and select "Create Archive of Droplets".

Interesting - I never knew that. It must be an optional install or something. I don't have droplets in samples on CS3 and I didn't have it on CS2 or CS either.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Interesting - I never knew that. It must be an optional install or something. I don't have droplets in samples on CS3 and I didn't have it on CS1 or CS either.

hmmmm yes I agree with you on that one, I have not seen this on the CS that I'm running. Yeah polycat33 i did noticed that you are running an older ver. of PS but I could not figure which one...

uhhhh this might be a lil out of the subject but I was told by some one that Lime wire is a big SPYware to get rif of it an use Amule. Is this true or was I lied to badly!!

Ed: I did noticed that in Lime wire I was never able to connect even leaving it on after two days but on Amule I was able to DL a few things already!

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
To get rid of the Photoshop "open with" items, go to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Samples. Right click on the "Droplets" folder, and select "Create Archive of Droplets". You'll get a Droplets.zip folder there in the Sample folder. Then delete the Droplets folder. That should get rid of the extra "Open with" items, and if you ever decide you want them back, you can simply double-click the zip file and they'll all come back. You may need to rebuild LaunchServices for these changes in the menu to take effect.

That long list of options that I would never use has been annoying me for over a year. And now they're gone.

Thank you, WildCowboy!

:)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Thanks WildCowboy. But how do I add something to the list? For instance, Preview is not listed when I right-click on a tif, even though it opens it just fine.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
..... simply rebuilding your LaunchServices database should get rid of duplicate entries and entries for deleted apps in that menu.

any way for the terminally terminal averse user to rebuild the LaunchServices database?

pqwo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
thank you WildCowboy!!!!!
i've been dealing with the long list of useless crap for so long, it was annoying me. simple little steps have saved me from become insane! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.