Adobe photoshop lagging

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by morrisman1, Mar 24, 2009.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i have a macbook aluminium 2.0ghz with 2gb of ram. photoshop lags all the time. does putting 4gb in make a massive difference? istat is saying that the ram is full when i load up CS3.

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Photoshop is a memory hog. If you install 4GB it will consume a considerable amount of your available RAM. You'll need to visit Photoshop Preferences: Performance and bring it down to something that allows for you have other applications open without creating memory pageouts (where hard drive is used in place of RAM). The only way to clear pageouts that I know of is to restart your Mac.

2GB is enough to run Ps. The OS will gobble up half and Photoshop will eat the leftovers. The point to keep in mind is that Ps is not generally used in a vacuum. I have 4GB RAM on iMac with 768MB allocated to Ps. This allows me to have ID, Ai, Ps and Acrobat open along with Safari, Mail, Suitcase, and Word. However, opening iTunes or Crossover Mac on top of all that generally pushes the system into pageout mode. There are other factors to determine how much memory to allocate to Ps like the size of the files you generally edit. If you can't find a good balance, the extra memory (4GB) will certainly give you more breathing room.