Adobe Photoshop Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appler8, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Appler8 macrumors member

To all you photoshop users in the forums I've got a few questions. What laptop size do you use for photoshop? Is 15" a good size laptop for photoshop? Is it better do download Photoshop or buy the instillation disk? Is Photoshop worth the 700 or so $s if I am an avid photographer who works with Nikon DSLRs and takes graphic design classes for school? Thanks.

2. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I use the 17 inch because it gives me a little more real estate to work with. The 15 inch is adequate if you have 40/40 vision. :)

I downloaded my copy from the Adobe site. I think I paid $600. It's worth it but there are other free or inexpensive apps that are just as good.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

First thing's first, if you're in school you should qualify for educational pricing. Photoshop Extended is $199 in Adobe's education store. Design Standard is $299.

Any of the MBPs will handle Photoshop fine. I'd pair it with an external monitor, personally, but if you're going to be using just the notebook display, then go with the 15" high-res or the 17". The 13" and 15" will work, but the display is pretty cramped, especially if you're shooting high-res photos.

4. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Any SLR today shoots well above the resolution of any monitor. A D5100 shoots at 16MP, compared to a high-res 15" at roughly 1.6.

I would definitely buy an external monitor. I'd definitely recommend a Dell IPS display too. I have my images full-screen on the external display, while having tools, presents, gradients and everything else on my mac's display.

If you're on the move though - I'm currently getting by on 13" but I'm sure a 15 high-res would do wonders.

It also depends on the end result of your images. If you're a casual/amateur, or your photos mostly end up online or in small print, it's a different story to working with front-page headlines images / massive prints (I learned the hard way :D)

5. Sgt. Raven macrumors member

I really like the ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q monitor I have with a P-IPS panel. It has extra features that make it great for working PhotoShop. Also it's a 16:10 1920x1200 which matches my MBP 17".