Adobe Premier Issue that I hope won't RUIN my mac...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jt47000, Sep 6, 2014.

1. jt47000 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and need some guidance.

My new job requires me to use Adobe Premier for creating videos that I have loaded on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro - which I love to death...

Anyways, if you've ever used Adobe Premier, you know that once your done editing your video, you need to export/encode the video into a file which literally takes hours (I've had some take up to 8 hours). This could mean hours of your computer sitting there running and letting it sit all by itself. Anyways, I'm concerned because I really don't know how my mac book will handle this...

• Adobe seems to stop encoding once the mac goes to sleep so I can't put it in sleep mode
    • I changed the settings to not let my computer go to sleep so it wouldnt disturb the video encoding but the settings menu even says that "this can shorten the life of your display"
    • I turned the brightness down to conserve power but I'm still scare that it will shorten the life of my display

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Any "Adobe Premier Mac People" out there?

What would you recommend for leaving your computer on an unattended for a long period of time without harming it?

Thanks guys,

JT

2. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Did this for 5 years working at a fairly well known major research university. Some of the macs I did encoding on I later bought from my employer and took them home and used them for years.
    Anyway, with a laptop, just treat it well while encoding. Keep it well ventilated and cool while it is working, and I would suggest just keeping it on. Heat is the enemy.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Setup a Hot Corner to make the display go to sleep, set your encode running and sleep the display...

You will find it in Preferences/Desktop & Screensaver/Screensaver and click the Hot Corners button at the bottom...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My Mac hardly goes to sleep, I don't see this ruining my Mac. Its on for a reason and its designed to be on.

If you're worried about the screen, either put it to sleep as mentioned above, or use a screen saver with a dark screen

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Or just press Ctrl+Shift+Eject (or power button in rMBPs or MBAs) to sleep the display.

6. jt47000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

These all sound like great ideas. I was thinking as well to reduce heat, is there a way to close my laptop and yet at the same time keep it running?
    I was thinking that the lighted keyboard can be another thing contributing to heat production and agree that long term heat production could be bad.

Thanks again guys

JT

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you close the laptop, heat dissipation is worse, because heat is also dissipated off the keyboard plane.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Keeping the laptop closed with actually make heat dissipation worst.

The backlit keyboard is just a few LED's, I'll eat my hat if they produce more than a few milliwatts of heat. That's something that shouldn't even cross your mind.