Adobe Premiere 5 for Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JulianRichards, Apr 26, 2014.

1. JulianRichards macrumors newbie

I have some old video projects created in Adobe Premiere 5.1c for Mac (not Premiere Pro), and I'd like to revive them. My old copy of Premiere 5 won't open - it says it's expired (I didn't know software did that!). I've tried opening them with Premiere Pro 2.0 for Windows, but it tells me that the files are corrupted. I'm not sure I believe that, so before I give up entirely I'm looking for someone who has a working version of Premiere 5 for Mac who would be kind enough to try opening a few little (and totally inoffensive) project files.

Thanks,

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You're going to have a hard time finding people here who run System 7 AND Adobe Premiere 5. Just like you were told on the Adobe forums.

Did you try setting the date back?

3. JulianRichards thread starter macrumors newbie

Now why didn't I think of that? It worked! Thank you very much. And the files are not corrupted. So now I have to find a working version later than Premiere 5.1c but before Premiere Pro 2.0 to try them on.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Nice! I'm glad that actually worked! I remember Adobe making that recommendation in the past, but didn't know whether it'd work or not on Premiere.

I think you're stuck with 6.5. Just reading the document Adobe has on this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-sequences-clip-lists-libraries.html

Reason being that all those files would only work with Classic Mac OS and not OS X.

5. JulianRichards thread starter macrumors newbie

Success! Thanks to a handy resource of ancient software I've updated all my old Premiere 5.1c (Mac) files to Premiere 6.5 (for Windows) and have then been able to open most of them in Premiere Pro 2.0 (for Windows). The one that won't play ball has multiple video and audio tracks with complicated opacity changes, so I suspect I can get that going too if I take it apart and reassemble it.

Thanks for your help.