Adobe Premiere Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JEB229, Mar 29, 2008.

1. JEB229 macrumors member

Well I just started editing video on my mac these past couple weeks. Before I used sony vegas on XP and reallly liked it. I tried my hand a Final Cut Pro but I disliked how it doesnt have a scene detection and wont clip the footage up for you.

I bought premiere and after acouple days of using it I started to like it. Today was the first day I rendered what Ive edited and the file size is huge and the quality is awful. I exported a 3min movie in a .mov and the file size is 700mb:eek:. I rendered at 320x240 (which is what I always used in Vegas) and normally the file size was 20-30mb and the quality was alot better.

Does anyone have any tips or something to get better quality. I can deal with the file size but the video looks 100x better in the preview screen in adobe then after its rendered. I can link you all to the video if you need an example of how bad it looks.

2. HDhead macrumors newbie

What Quicktime codec did you use? Newer codecs are better in terms of quality and file size.

The real test of the Premiere encoder would be to use exact same size, frame rate and codec settings as a the one you used in Sony Vegas and compare the relative quality of the two clips.

3. JEB229 thread starter macrumors member

Im not sure what codec I used. How do you check? What codec should I use?

4. Randor macrumors newbie

DV Start/Stop Detect

I'm not sure what you mean that FCP won't do scene detection. "Mark > DV Start/Stop Detect" does exactly that. It finds all the places where the camera stopped recording and creates subclips for each shot.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

When you choose Export->Movie there is an option under Settings for Video. In there you can specifiy data rates, codecs, resolution, frame rates, etc. Muck about to your heart's content.