Adobe Premiere is only using 75% of my Imac CPU

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drexl5, Jun 3, 2011.

1. drexl5 macrumors member

Aug 10, 2010
    Im Editing h.264 clips with cc and adding sharpness video effects also using several high quality jpeg images with the video. Im confused on why im using 3/4 of my cpu power. Any suggestions or ideas?
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    H.264 encoded video is not meant for video editing, as it consumes a lot of CPU power to decode it, especially with a filter applied to it. JPEGs are also not the best format to store images for video editing purposes.

The video should be using some editing codec like Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) and the sound should be uncompressed, MPEG Streamclip can help you there.
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Is your complaint that you're not using 100% of your CPU? That could be because video editing will be slowed down by disk activity as it reads and writes sections of the video.

Also, you don't mention which iMac you have. Not all software or editing operations can necessarily use all the cores in the system.

Your problem statement is lacking in information and there is a good chance you won't get the answer to what you're really asking. See How do I get help with a hardware or software problem? - especially number 4 Details.