Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alph45

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
you should expect a larger file, prorez is less compressed. that's the desired result. it'll also do everything faster on your mac, from import to edit to export.

On the other hand, who knows what will be offered for FCP in a few days. Interested to find out what "jaw dropping" means.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
While I am no pro, in my experience transcoding to prores yield a file size an order of magnitude greater that what you started with in h.264. How much greater depends on the detail, but as a test I just transcoded a 41MB H.264 file which produced a 512MB ProRes 422 file.

On a larger scale - my camera (Canon 60D) uses roughly16GB per hour of h.264 video.

According to apple here's what you get with 1 hour of ProRes

ProRes Version Store 1 Hour of 720p/60*

ProRes 422 Proxy 20 GB

ProRes 422 LT 46 GB

ProRes 422 66 GB

ProRes 422 HQ 99 GB

ProRes 4444 (no alpha) 148 GB

Here's a link about it - http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_picking_prores.html

Thanks for posting your results. That is exactly what I was looking for. The link will be helpful, as I am taking in as much as possible.

you should expect a larger file, prorez is less compressed. that's the desired result. it'll also do everything faster on your mac, from import to edit to export.

On the other hand, who knows what will be offered for FCP in a few days. Interested to find out what "jaw dropping" means.

Thanks for the feedback, as you answered another question regarding the speed of importing and exporting, while using OS X. I cannot wait to see the new features of FCP.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
On a larger scale - my camera (Canon 60D) uses roughly16GB per hour of h.264 video.

According to apple here's what you get with 1 hour of ProRes

ProRes Version Store 1 Hour of 720p/60*

ProRes 422 Proxy 20 GB

ProRes 422 LT 46 GB

ProRes 422 66 GB

ProRes 422 HQ 99 GB

ProRes 4444 (no alpha) 148 GB

Here's a link about it - http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_picking_prores.html

Thanks for posting your results. That is exactly what I was looking for. The link will be helpful, as I am taking in as much as possible.

So looking at this example we see that PR proxy for 1 hour is 20GB. The h264 out of the DSLR is 16GB. A bottom end mac pro can easily stream 16 multiclip angles in proxy for a tad size hit while it will choke trying to do that with 16 streams of h264.

So if you have a couple of clips you just want to string together and add some music, go ahead and go native (I still wouldn't) but if you are working on a COMPLEX (not more professional) timeline, ProRes will tax your system a lot less.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
So looking at this example we see that PR proxy for 1 hour is 20GB. The h264 out of the DSLR is 16GB. A bottom end mac pro can easily stream 16 multiclip angles in proxy for a tad size hit while it will choke trying to do that with 16 streams of h264.

So if you have a couple of clips you just want to string together and add some music, go ahead and go native (I still wouldn't) but if you are working on a COMPLEX (not more professional) timeline, ProRes will tax your system a lot less.

gameface, thanks for the information. Understanding the limitations of my machine is important. Now that I am armed with the information, I had better get busy editing. LOL Well, I am just starting out, but like so many others: I have ideas and now I must get my hands dirty so to speak.

Thanks to all of the video editing team for contributing to this thread, it is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.