Adobe Reader can't print

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigwig, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bigwig macrumors 6502a

I'm running Adobe Reader 10.1.2 on OSX 10.6.8. I'm using it to fill in a PDF with forms, then print it. Unfortunately, the print button does nothing. No error messages, just silence. What could be wrong, and is there a workaround? I can't use Preview because Preview doesn't handle forms with calculated fields (fields whose value is determined by user input on other fields).

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by "work"? It's selectable, but nothing happens when you select it (or click the printer icon).

4. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I had experienced that problem.

I'm running Snow Leopard, and after one update 3-4 months back the print pdf capability was restored. Obviously an OS X bug that was introduced with an upgrade and fixed later.

You're on Lion, but it could be similar. Have you installed the latest OS X updates?

As an alternative you can also try using Preview. I ditched Adobe Reader long ago as a truly impractical application. Preview is much more hands-on - better to read pdf's with.

5. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lion? 10.6.8 is Snow Leopard.
    Can't use Preview, it doesn't handle Forms right.

6. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

All the better. Then your fix should work like my fix.

Do the latest software updates and you should be able to print.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why is this obvious? Is it more likely that Apple introduced a bug in MacOS X, that Adobe introduced a bug in Adobe Reader, or that you munged your own system?

8. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already had all of Apple's updates to Snow Leopard, and of course 10.1.2 is the latest Adobe Reader.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Unfortunately I can echo this. Sometimes forms work fine in Preview, sometimes it doesn't (fields in incorrect places, or missing entirely, or it just doesn't work at all).

However, I've found that Chrome's built-in PDF viewer (of all things) works better. You might want to give it a shot.