Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Engali

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I still don't understand why you're dual booting.

Use a VM like Parallels or VMWare Fusion, or even VirtualBox (free!) to run Windows right from OSX. You don't have to dual boot, and the performance will be just fine for Adobe Reader.

The problem is not Apple's, but Adobe who made a totally crappy software solution for OSX.

However, why don't you just use the built in reader in OSX? You can read PDFs, search them, write annotations etc. they doesn't look different than in Adobe Reader. That's the whole idea with PDF ;) They look the same regardless of the viewer you use.

I was thinking if dual booting anyway because my university has free licenses for SPSS for Windows, but not OSX. Between that, the PDF issues, and what I've read about performance for gaming not being that great when trying to run Windows via Parallel or Fusion, I think dual booting is the way to go. Also, it's free compared to buying Parallels.

Also, I read VirtualBox is not that great compared to Parallel or Fusion.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I was thinking if dual booting anyway because my university has free licenses for SPSS for Windows, but not OSX. Between that, the PDF issues, and what I've read about performance for gaming not being that great when trying to run Windows via Parallel or Fusion, I think dual booting is the way to go. Also, it's free compared to buying Parallels.

Also, I read VirtualBox is not that great compared to Parallel or Fusion.

Actually with both Parallels and VMWare, you can just use your boot camp partition for the VM. So you can dual boot when needing raw performance (for gaming), and run it in OSX as a VM when you just need to run PDFs :)

BaxterBoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does Adobe Acrobat Pro also lag? I am a PhD student and use AA pretty much everyday for both reading and annotating PDFs. I'm not sure if Preview has the same capabilities as AA, but I would prefer some way to highlight text and make notes directly in the PDF. If not Adobe or Preview, are there any other good programs I should look into?

Working on a 21.5" iMac right now. My rMBP 13" gets here tomorrow. It would be nice if AA worked well!

Engali

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Actually with both Parallels and VMWare, you can just use your boot camp partition for the VM. So you can dual boot when needing raw performance (for gaming), and run it in OSX as a VM when you just need to run PDFs :)

O_O

Tell me more

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
O_O

Tell me more

1) Install Windows on Bootcamp as normal
2) You can now dualboot to Windows
3) Now Install Parallels. It will ask you to also use the Bootcamp partition as a VM. Then it will Install Parallels Tools on that, and you can now also run the Bootcamp partition in a VM/Window on OSX.

See this: http://kb.parallels.com/en/112941

It's really great! You can dualboot when needed, and run in a VM when you don't need discrete graphics.

Same programs, files etc. min both the VM and when dualbooting :)

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Use Preview. Adobe Reader lags in OSX regardless of what system you're using. It's really just bad design of the software.

Could you please tell me how you managed to get a 13" rMBP with a GeForce GT 650M as listed in your sig. I'm very curious.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does Adobe Acrobat Pro also lag? I am a PhD student and use AA pretty much everyday for both reading and annotating PDFs. I'm not sure if Preview has the same capabilities as AA, but I would prefer some way to highlight text and make notes directly in the PDF. If not Adobe or Preview, are there any other good programs I should look into?

Working on a 21.5" iMac right now. My rMBP 13" gets here tomorrow. It would be nice if AA worked well!

Preview does that just fine!
If you're a phd, you might also consider a PDF program like eg Papers from mekentosj

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
I would say: Do your self a favor and get rid of adobe reader, instead install "skim"- the best pdf reader optimized for retina macbook pro.

OR you could try PDF Nomad. However I prefer skim for its smooth scrolling and zero cost.

Try it out!!!

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France

Yes - Adobe Acrobat Pro does really lag on both my MP and MBP regardless the video card involved (either ATI Radeon 5870 or Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition or ATI HD 4870 on my MP; either Intel HD3000 or HD 6750M on my MBP).
It appears clearly (as previously said on this thread) that Preview is way better coded than Adobe Acrobat Pro or Reader - no lag whatsoever.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.