Adobe reader plugin not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by canada eh, Oct 4, 2011.

1. canada eh macrumors regular

I have tried Safari (5.1), Chrome (15), and Firefox (6.0.2) none work. I am trying to view a textbook online for my math class which has the only requirement that adobe reader was installed. I installed the latest Adobe Reader but I'm still having problems. Any suggestions?

2. dcains macrumors regular

This one is the best I've seen:

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

3. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

well I did some research and found that Adobe reader isn't compatible with Safari 5.1. I'm not sure if this is current ( the version I am trying to install is 10.1.1) so this problem could have been fixed with the latest version.

The way that this textbook works is that you can't download it, only right click and print. I tried the reader suggested above with no success. the help on the website says use only adobe reader. I installed adobe reader on my hackintosh dell mini 10v running 10.6.0 with the shipping safari ( can't remember the version) and it worked without issue. so it must have something to do with lion and its plugins because there is no explanation as to why it won't work in any browser at all.

Thanks in advance :)

4. dcains, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

dcains macrumors regular

In Firefox, open preferences > applications. For Adobe PDF Documents, select "Use PDF Browser Plugin 2.4.2 in Firefox". Once that association is made, it will work as promised.

I don't recall any required setup in Safari, but opening a PDF seems to take a bit longer.

FWIW, I've got the latest versions of Lion, Safari, and Firefox.

5. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, it did work, thanks a lot. :D

After I installed the software I only tried Safari, not Firefox. Thanks again. :)

6. dcains macrumors regular

You're welcome. Too bad this little app doesn't show up when you search for extensions within Firefox, as it's the only one I've found which works. Maybe because it doesn't install like a regular extension?

7. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure how it installs. It could be that it does't install like a normal extension. It could also be that the developer doesn't want it to be found in the firefox extension library for some reason. But who knows.