Adobe Reader

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cythth, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

Greetings. I know this is a trivial issue but it drives me nuts. Is there a setting somewhere where Adobe Reader completely closes after I close an open document? I'm annoyed by the fact that Adobe Reader stays open and on my dock after closing a document. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

This isn't just Adobe Reader. This is normal for most OS X apps that have more than a single window. It's especially especially true for document-centered apps. Word, Pages, Excel, Numbers, TextEdit, and Adobe InDesign (among others) all work that way - you can have multiple document windows open on the desktop, and closing any one document will not close the app, even if it's the last document left open.

I could dig into Apple's OS X Human Interface Guidelines to cite Apple's logic for this, but it's late.

I can understand how you'd like to keep the icons in your Dock to a minimum, I happen to go in the other direction - I've made many apps "Keep in Dock" - I happen to like all my frequently-used apps a Dock-click away.

From my perspective (I work with a lot of documents), this is like having a notepad on my desktop. I may clear the desk of all current documents, but I keep the notepad on the desk, ready for the next new note.

Now, all that said, there probably is a way to modify this behavior, perhaps with Applescript. I leave that to those adept in such things.

3. sharky25ant macrumors member

why don't you use the short cut "cmd+Q" to closing both the file and application at the same time ?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While this doesn't answer your question directly, have you considered using Preview instead? I believe that the current version quits when you close the last document.

I appreciate that you may have a specific need for Adobe Reader (otherwise you probably wouldn't have installed it) but I'm just throwing the option out there :)

5. Cythth thread starter macrumors regular

Cythth