Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
please direct where I might ask this question.

I have patterns that I need to download and they are in adobe format.
for some reason I can't get the layers to turn on so I can just print the layer I want.

:(
Is there a special adobe reader we should be downloading from to get the adobe layers aspect to work. ??

Thank you.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
thank you but I can't get the layers to work..

do I have to uninstall what I have and reinstall a new program?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
please direct where I might ask this question.

I have patterns that I need to download and they are in adobe format.
for some reason I can't get the layers to turn on so I can just print the layer I want.

:(
Is there a special adobe reader we should be downloading from to get the adobe layers aspect to work. ??

Thank you.
PDF is a flat file format, not an object-oriented format. There is no "layers aspect" even in Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. Adobe Reader is a file reader who editing features are pretty much limited to completing forms in PDF files have include forms.

Amigalander

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
When you say "adobe format" and speak of "layers," I think you mean Photoshop format. If Photoshop is not available to you, Pixelmator is an alternative that will separate layers. I'm sure there may be some other free alternatives too.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
okay, I don't know how the problem got fixed but you see, people make sewing patterns in Layers, different sizes nest in each other. I only wanted to print say the small size, Well in Adobe reader you can turn on layers and you can turn them off.

so you only print the part of the pattern you would like.

like those little women that are nested in each egg. And say you want the third one, well in Adobe you can only get the part of the egg you want.

So, thanks for trying you all. Adobe does do layers. :)

Amigalander

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Hmm, you actually DID mean layers in a PDF file. Neat.

Since I don't have Adobe Reader on this comp, I tried opening the layered PDF in iDraw, and the layers are available separately. Learn something new every day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.