Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Giving it a shot now ... wasn't sure how I'd like the removal of Fill Light and Recovery (my two favorite sliders!), but honestly they did a nice job here. I also love some of the small tweaks, like putting the develop presets into a POPOUT MENU when you right-click (scrolling through my 40+ presets, along with Adobe's 50-80 or so, was a major hassle).

Seems slower, though. Could be that I'm just not used to my new camera (16.2 MP RAW files = 23 megs compressed).

All in all, while I like the fact that Aperture lets you "work" on anything at any time, it's clear that Lightroom surged ahead long ago. It's just better. (And really it's too bad, because without some of Aperture's ridiculous keywording quirks and file-management hassles, it'd be a really great program!)

I too prefer the "dark" style to Aperture's pseudo-professional off-white gray. The icon is now black, too, which is really pretty -- well, as pretty as any of Adobe's new awful icons can be.)

I love how Apple spent nearly a decade refining Aqua and making it more polished and subtle, then throws a contrasty gray skin onto their "pro" apps to make them look like NewTek's Lightwave (or Video Toaster). Lightroom looks a WHOLE lot cooler-- and I'm always surprised at how nice it feels to work in (for me).

MurrayE, if you don't need anything beyond iPhoto, then don't worry. What edits are you doing in Photoshop? If you've ever opened RAW files in Photoshop, the dialog box that comes up (where you can adjust contrast/detail/saturation) is largely what Lightroom's Develop module is. Mainly its advantages are speed and the quickness with which you can narrow down a set of shots into a group of "picks". iPhoto doesn't give you that control, nor does it let you do much to organize your images.

Jenni8

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
CA
I recently moved to a Mac, and so far I'm using iPhoto to manage photos but Photoshop for editing. Any comments as to:

• what added value Lightroom would bring; and
  • does managing photos with Lightroom essentially preclude managing them with iPhoto?

I use Lightroom 3 and I installed a plugin for exporting to iphoto. It's handy in that I can organize the files still directly from Lightroom and it will automatically ask me to update to iPhoto. It works like the Facebook one I have installed too in the side column. I forget where I downloaded it, but it was free and works great. I installed the LR4 beta and it's constantly suddenly closing, so yeah it's real buggy, but I love the updated features it has so far. And all my previously installed plugins work as they always did in LR3. Keep in mind, LR4 is only compatible with the most current Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.