Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Full acceleration may not be on by default. Go to Preferences—>Performance. At the top you should see something like Use Graphics Processor follow by an option selector set to Auto. Change from Auto to Custom. That will give you the option to turn on the GPU for image processing…not just display jobs. When you turn that on below it will say something like max GPU acceleration is now on. This is where having a higher end GPU could start to make a difference in Lr Classic.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
This thread was not intended as a referendum on Adobe. If you want that, start another thread please.

If you do set up Lr for full acceleration, don't forget to do the same for ACR in the Photoshop preferences.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This thread was not intended as a referendum on Adobe. If you want that, start another thread please.
Agreed and the posts were removed.

Please stay on topic. If you don't like lightroom, then please move, such non sequiturs are offtopic and not helpful

Reactions: robgendreau

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Note that the editing acceleration only works with images using Process version 5. Yesterday I selected all the images in my catalog and had LR update them all to the Current Process (version 5). I am now having Lr update all the 1:1 previews because a preview could be slightly different rendered via Process 5 vs older versions.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
So far I have noticed a marked improvement with using the adjustment brush. I no longer have lagging between brushing and it showing on screen and I feel like the fans spin up way less often on my iMac.

Reactions: erayser

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
So far I have noticed a marked improvement with using the adjustment brush. I no longer have lagging between brushing and it showing on screen and I feel like the fans spin up way less often on my iMac.
That would be a big improvement for sure. That was always my biggest complaint about LR6–if I used the brush a fair amount, it was very slow. Other programs like On1 and Affinity Photo don’t seem to suffer as badly with lag.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
That would be a big improvement for sure. That was always my biggest complaint about LR6–if I used the brush a fair amount, it was very slow. Other programs like On1 and Affinity Photo don’t seem to suffer as badly with lag.

That's a good comparison, and why using Lr isn't always the best choice for that type of editing vs Affinity or Photoshop. Those latter applications work more like say Word, with work being stored in RAM and then you save the edited work in the file. Lr works like a database; work is saved without user intervention, and the program has to redraw the rendering from the stored parameters over and over, so it's gets harder as more edits are made. Since many of the local adjustments can be done in say Ps (often with more control too) or in Affinity those are often the best choice for that work...even with the speed improvements in Lr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.