Adobe Releases Second Beta of Photoshop Lightroom 3

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Adobe yesterday announced the availability of a second beta version of its Photoshop Lightroom 3 digital photo editing and management application for Mac and Windows. The new beta, which will expire on June 30th, offers a number of new features including support for native tethered shooting on certain Nikon and Canon camera and improved import and watermarking features.
Here's a quick summary of what's new in this release:

- Improved performance throughout the application for faster importing and loading of images
- Native tethered shooting support for select Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras
- Luminance noise reduction has been added to the previous color noise reduction improvements available in the first public beta for outstanding overall high ISO quality
- Support for importing and managing video files from DSLR cameras for better overall photographic workflow control
- Improvements to the import experience in the first beta to reflect public feedback
- Improved watermarking functionality from the first beta to reflect public feedback
According to Adobe, over 350,000 photographers have downloaded the Lightroom 3 beta so far, offering key feedback to help with refinement of the application. No release date for the final version of Lightroom 3 has been announced, but the company suggests that it is moving closer to final release.

Adobe has also posted a video preview of the new features included in the second beta.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Second Beta of Photoshop Lightroom 3

torinarg

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
I just wish...

they would finally allow conversion of Lightroom 2 catalogs - I'd like to try it with some of the photos in my existing library...

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
I am still holding out hope that they would add perspective correction tools to LR3...

Otherwise, the updates so far are very welcome!

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I hope Adobe is also working on fixing Flash for Mac.
What does Flash have to do with LR? The development team working on LR is not the same one responsible for Flash. And if you're going to complain about Flash performance on macs, complain to apple for not making accessible the requisite code. The reason Flash performs so much better under windows is that microsoft actually cooperates with adobe and gives them access to the necessary architecture to make the software run efficiently, not because adobe doesn't care about os x.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
I really hope Adobe starts using parallel processing technologies that have been around for 30 years.

Can exporting photos use all available cores without me manually batching up large export tasks? It can't be any simpler. Not even asking for concurrent processing of individual photos, just at least spread the processing over the list of exported photos.

I've given up hoping for GPGPU (OpenCL) accelerated exporting or image rendering or anything else for that matter.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
What does Flash have to do with LR? The development team working on LR is not the same one responsible for Flash. And if you're going to complain about Flash performance on macs, complain to apple for not making accessible the requisite code. The reason Flash performs so much better under windows is that microsoft actually cooperates with adobe and gives them access to the necessary architecture to make the software run efficiently, not because adobe doesn't care about os x.
I agree with your first point (don't blame the LR guys), but the second point is pure bull****. Flash video is a huge CPU hog on my Mac, but yet VLC can play 720p HD videos without so much as troubling the CPU. The VLC guys don't have a special relationship with Apple to make VLC work well, why does Adobe need one? Its not like Flash does anything special that it would need low level hardware access, and hardware video acceleration is nice, but unneeded on most modern computers that are so very capable of decoding video just using the CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.