MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Adobe Photoshop project manager John Nack notes that Adobe has revised its Creative Suite FAQ to reflect that the company expects Creative Suite 3 to function normally on Snow Leopard except for a few non-critical bugs, which are detailed in a series of TechNotes posted to Adobe's support pages.
Do Adobe Creative Suite 3 products support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6)?
Adobe has worked closely with Apple throughout the Snow Leopard development and testing process. Adobe has conducted its own additional testing of our Adobe CS3 software on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and is confident that our CS3 applications will function as expected with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Adobe did uncover some non-critical issues, which are documented for our customers to review at http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_cpsid_51215_en-us.
After an initial report that Creative Suite 3 would be unsupported on Snow Leopard and had not even been tested, Nack quickly clarified that Adobe had at least tested Photoshop CS3 and found it to be compatible, but the company was unable to devote the required resources to perform a complete assessment of CS3's compatibility and to fully support the software package for Snow Leopard with updates going forward.

Earlier this week, Nack revealed a handful of issues affecting Photoshop on Snow Leopard, but Adobe now appears to have gained a clearer picture of the issues affecting each component of the suite.

Article Link: Adobe Revises Snow Leopard FAQ, Details Creative Suite 3 Bugs

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
This is BS.
Photoshop CS3 is completely flaky in snow leopard. The mouse cursor jumps all over the place and it is a pain to access a menu item because it keeps flitting around to other menu items.
Maybe I'm wrong and it is the fault of the mx revolution mouse that I use, but whatever the cause, Photoshop in snow leopard is behaving very poorly.

Comment

danrodney

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Maybe I'm wrong and it is the fault of the mx revolution mouse that I use, but whatever the cause, Photoshop in snow leopard is behaving very poorly.

I think it's your mouse. I am not having the problems you mention. So far no problems. I haven't done a ton of work in it, but it's been fine so far.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Good to see that there are no known issues with Fireworks; it's the only CS3 app I have. The loading and saving bug may affect it though (I haven't upgraded my good computer to 10.6 yet, and hopefully it'll be fixed by the time I do).

Comment

supremedesigner

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Gainesville, Fl
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I think adobe is aorta lying. It's either they are too lazy to test or don't even test at all before/after snow leopard relase. It all happened after users report many bugs. They better provide sw update for it soon! Or they won't get my money for cs5 relase since I paid $$$& for cs3!

Comment

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Adobe Photoshop project manager John Nack notes that Adobe has revised its Creative Suite FAQ to reflect that the company expects Creative Suite 3 to function normally on Snow Leopard except for a few non-critical bugs, which are detailed in a series of TechNotes posted to Adobe's support pages.

While I will hand it to them for making users aware of some known issues, I do find their definition of non-critical somewhat interesting.

(CS4, CS3, CS2) Crash or program error occurs when using Menlo font in Photoshop and Premiere CS3 and CS4 (Mac OS X 10.6) (TechNote cpsid_51220)

(All Versions) When opening and saving, applications, including Adobe applications, may sporadically crash (Mac OS X 10.6) (TechNote cpsid_50654)

Adobe Drive does not function on Mac OS X 10.6.

Firefox 3.x crashes when trying to use the Adobe Downloader on Mac OS X 10.6 (TechNote cpsid_51147)

Comment

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
that Adobe had at least tested Photoshop CS3 and found it to be compatible, but the company was unable to devote the required resources to perform a complete assessment of CS3's compatibility and to fully support the software package for Snow Leopard with updates going forward.

Unable? what a load of bullrot, Adobe isn't some struggling little company barely making ends meet, they sell a product that fetches up to $2,499 for their Master Collection - unable? more like unwilling to devote the resources required because they would sooner thrust an upgrade onto users than maintain support for a product that is under 2 years old.

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't bought Adobe; strategically it would widen their software portfolio and practically, Adobe has been screwing over Apple for years - maybe Apple can then seek revenge on its management after buy out by removing those anti-Apple elements from within that said organisation.

Comment

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Unable? what a load of bullrot, Adobe isn't some struggling little company barely making ends meet, they sell a product that fetches up to $2,499 for their Master Collection - unable? more like unwilling to devote the resources required because they would sooner thrust an upgrade onto users than maintain support for a product that is under 2 years old.

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't bought Adobe; strategically it would widen their software portfolio and practically, Adobe has been screwing over Apple for years - maybe Apple can then seek revenge on its management after buy out by removing those anti-Apple elements from within that said organisation.

Apple buying Adobe would be a nice move – they'd do it much better when it comes to consistent quality. Or better still Apple should bring out competing software.

Comment

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I particularly liked the "solution" to the font bug:

"SOLUTION: AVOID USING THE MENLO FONT." - classic!

We all know what they're really saying is SOLUTION: BUY CS4

Users are only asking them to offer a little support for just one version back, CS3, it's not like people are asking them to support Photoshop 6!!

And the line about not having enough resources to fix a small handful of bugs is laughable....

This is all about money; it's a great opportunity for them to force their loyal customers into spending more of their hard earned cash... Shame on Adobe! They deserve to (and i hope they do) loose some of those loyal customers for this....

Comment

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007

Nobody in their right mind should be buying cs4 now for the mac.
It is too old and it didn't even offer 64 bit support for osx.
What adobe needs to do is get cs5 out and make sure that it supports 64 bit on the mac, supports all of the memory available rather than a measly 3 gigs, and include support for the new technologies in snow leopard (gpu processing, multiple cores and full memory use)
I got more ram, a gtx 285 and snow leopard in hopes that it would result in a significant improvement of performance in my mac pro but it is all wasted as long as the os and the software are incapable of working together to exploit the power.
I suspect that by the time they all get their acts together, my current hardware will be so obsolete that it won't help me anyway.
Computer performance claims are mostly bogus and based on marketing hype. The only way to appreciate computer improvements are to wait at least five years before upgrading. Anyone who falls into the trap of upgrading every time some new hardware, os or software version comes out will only see miniscule differences in productivity that aren't really worth the exorbitant costs.
It's a fool's game.

Comment

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I think adobe is aorta lying. It's either they are too lazy to test or don't even test at all before/after snow leopard relase. It all happened after users report many bugs. They better provide sw update for it soon! Or they won't get my money for cs5 relase since I paid $$$& for cs3!

Yeah I see Adobe is expensive on their suites. Why Apple didn't buy out Adobe? Then it would be Apple PhotoShop! :confused:

Comment

LazersGoPEWPEW

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Pensacola, FL
I particularly liked the "solution" to the font bug:

"SOLUTION: AVOID USING THE MENLO FONT." - classic!

Users are only asking them to offer a little support for just one version back, CS3, it's not like people are asking them to support Photoshop 6!!

And the line about not having enough resources to fix a small handful of bugs is laughable....

This is all about money; it's a great opportunity for them to force their loyal customers into spending more of their hard earned cash... Shame on Adobe! They deserve to (and i hope they do) loose some of those loyal customers for this....

I even have issues with CS4 on Snow Leopard. I've had repetitive crashes resizing font inside illustrator. It's pretty frustrating.

Comment

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
A Moment from The Matrix for Adobe

Adobe's handling of CS3 and Snow Leopard reminded me of this quote from Neo:

"Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I think I got a better one. How about, I give you the finger, and you give me my phone call?"

Comment

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Dreamweaver CS3

I don't know about any other Creative Suite CS3 apps., but I am happy to report that I've been using Dreamweaver for a little over a week and have experienced no problems with it (on the other hand, I don't do things like insert Flash elements into my pages, so I can't vouch for all its features,. but for standard vanilla-flavored use it works just fine).

Comment

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The only dreamweaver bug I have found is the 30-60 second bug(I named this, don't know the exact name) in which if your page has too many graphics the page becomes unable to edit due to every time you move the mouse and try to edit some text or code the page will freeze for a period of time. I was able to work around this by having the program run in rosetta mode. Only way I have found to have this stop.

Comment

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Nobody in their right mind should be buying cs4 now for the mac.
It is too old and it didn't even offer 64 bit support for osx..

couldn't agree more. There was precious little to make me desire an upgrade and the fact that adobe screwed mac users with no 64bit support and now this lack of snow leopard support really has me irritated.

I actually installed Pixelmator and am going to play with it, I'm tired of the crappy support you get for high $$$$ with adobe.

Comment

flottenheimer

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Adobe's handling of CS3 and Snow Leopard is horrible. A shame there isn't a real alternative to Photoshop + InDesign + Illustrator (don't go Gimp, Quark, whatever on me).

The same goes for HP and its 10.6 printer driver support. Horrible.

For now, 10.5 + CS3 is the way ahead. It just works!

Comment

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Didn't Adobe lay off several hundred people earlier this year? Maybe it was all the guys (and gals) who were slated to do Snow Leopard testing... :D

Seriously, though, they oughta' do *something* as they must surely know that many folks commonly use older versions of their software...

Comment

MacMonster1985

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
Wait wait wait. Apple users complaining Adobe is trying to make money? What is this? I applaud Adobe. This is what capitalism is all about. Adobe has possibly managed to create higher profit margins than Apple, that is something to be proud of.

Comment

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Wait wait wait. Apple users complaining Adobe is trying to make money? What is this? I applaud Adobe. This is what capitalism is all about. Adobe has possibly managed to create higher profit margins than Apple, that is something to be proud of.
Right... and then there are more and less honorable ways of making money. Adobe's way in this particular instance is only a peg above working as a pimp or robbing convenience stores for a living.

Oh well, I can't say SL+CS3 is too bad. I've only tested Flash and Photoshop so far, but those are pretty much the only CS apps I use so I'm good. The only minor issue I've noticed is this mysterious alert that sometimes flashes by so quick I haven't been able to catch what it says. It seems to be invoked whenever I bring up a load or save dialog in Flash or Photoshop. I *think* it might be the new firewall, because I started up uTorrent earlier (for the first time since upgrading to SL) and got an alert that asked me if I wanted to allow incoming connections to uTorrent... it looked very similar to the one that pops up for one tenth of a second in Photoshop and Flash.

Comment

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007

I'm not complaining about the profit margins, I'm complaining that they seem to be taking users for granted and not supporting them, which leads to unhappiness, which leads the doors wide open for competition.

I have simple needs - photo editing only, so I don't need the whole adobe suite and I'm seriously investigating other options, which a couple years ago I woudln't have considered.

Comment

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Adobe's handling of CS3 and Snow Leopard reminded me of this quote from Neo:

"Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I think I got a better one. How about, I give you the finger, and you give me my phone call?"

Unfortunately Adobe has left too many people.."unable to speak."

By too many, I mean anyone still using CS3.

Comment

flottenheimer

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2008
Up north

"The goal of a company isn't to make money, it's to make great products".
- Steve Jobs.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.