Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I am looking for a new monitor to use with a MBP. Just on the amateur side, doing some video editing in FCP for displaying mainly on Apple devices. My understanding is that Apple is using DCI-P3 and most video is produced in this color space.

The monitor I am tempted to buy is the EIZO CS2740 which covers only 90% DCI-P3 space but has 100% Adobe RGB.

The question is, in case I am using this EIZO in Adobe RGB space, are the colors looking noticeable different when displayed on a DCI-P3 iPad or iMac?

Bipp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
I own a CS2740. You have to add to the price of the monitor a display calibration tool (if you do not own one). you can cover more than the 90% of the DCI-P3.
There is an upgrade available to HDR and DCI-P3 available trough Eizo Support, but you have to reset the monitor with a Colornavigator tool. That make the monitor more suitable for video (and a bit less for photography)

I would say that you will have no problems so far. The CS2740 is a very very good monitor... that said...

... for the price of a CS2740 + calibrator tool, and if 4K is not critical for you, you can buy a CG279-X... and that one is a beast. One of the best monitor for video edition in the world.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I am still looking to decide between the EIZO CS2740 and the LG Ultrafine 5K as now both of them are available and the EIZO only 100 euros more expensive.

Reading the Users Manuals, the LG runs at 60Hz only.
Not sure I correctly understood the EIZO, but it seems when running at 60Hz via the USB-C cable, it can display only 8bit. Only at 59.997 Hz or 30 Hz can display both 10bit and 8 bit.

The MBP seems to output 60Hz. Does this means that connecting the EIZO with the thunderbolt 3 MBP will display only 8 bit? Can the bit setting or the frequency be changed in the EIZO settings ?

Bipp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
I have a CS2740 connected right now to a mbp through USB-C and it runs at 60hz 10bit per channel (the 30bit shown in the picture)

The uniformity and the quality of the picture, beyond specs, in my opinion, is better in the Eizo than in the LG. And LG simply does not have access to the ColorNavigator software since it is Eizo-only.

This without even taking in consideration customer service : If one of my monitors fail I will have another one in my door in the meantime it is repaired. Eizos Coloredge are workhorses. For 100 € I will not doubt at all.

That said, since you are in the amateur side, you will not be wrong with any of them.

As a side note: in many reviews I read that the CS2740 is not able to charge through the USB-C the mbp because it only delivers around 60W. The mbp charges to full without any problem, and it makes me wonder if some of the “reviews“ we read online actually use or even had the product. And I am talking in general, not only about this monitor in particular.

2CDE382B-33EA-4C8E-B046-67EA9583BE4F.jpeg

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I am more and more inclined towards EIZO. Seems also a better investment protection than LG.

I had for few days the Dell UP2720q with integrated hardware calibration sensor. With a large discount from Dell was in the same price range like CS. It went back to Dell mostly due to foggy, wash out colors when compared with the retina MBP. Not sure was the matte 3H finish or the low 250 cd/m2 max brightness, but it looks more foggy than an old, 150 euro HP display I have.

However I have one more question, also from the User's guide, when used on thunderbolt at 60 Hz, the USB speed drops to usb2 on the other USB ports on the monitor. Only used at 30Hz will allow usb 3.1 (5Gbit/).
I am planning to attach an SSD containing large video files to the monitor and use only one tb3 cable to the Mac, but in case the usb speed drops to usb2, this setup is useless. Have you noticed what speed it gets to the USB ports?

Bipp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
I do not connect the drives to the monitor, so I am not sure about that one. but I am curious about what you found, I will take a look.

What I know is that the monitor has two USB-A 2.0 in the back and two USB-A 3.1 in the side. If I attach a card reader, I do it to the USB-A 3.1 in the side. The speed is ok (as a reference for the most similar thing to a drive that I ever connected to the monitor)

I power the mbp through the USB-C, so, it is more or less a similar set-up to what you think to do. But I am doing it that way because if not I would need two cables: one for the signal and other for the calibration, so it is more convenient. I connect other peripherals as well, but not bandwidth demanding (besides the card reader from time to time)

the mbp has actually a quite good screen, a bit over-saturated, and with the problem of the reflections. But besides that is good.
I am not sure what could happen to your Dell, but it could be that it was not well calibrated. The spectrophotometer in the Dell is “meh”, for being nice and polite, and the software that manage it is more or less the same. So, the problem could come from there (?) just wondering.

About the investment... I had to throw six months ago, with big sadness, an Eizo L997 bought in 2005 with more than 35.000 hours under its belt, that still had way better rendering than the average screen you can find in the shop. The power supply was gone I think.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Probably I just have to forget attaching a drive to the CS monitor. Reading the forums, lots of people complaining about low speed and disconnect errors on monitors with DP alt mode on USB -c ports. Situation seems better on monitors with Thunderbolt ports.

I was working the other day to synchronize the audio and video on a clip in FCP, realizing the CS2740 has no audio out port or speakers. This process cannot be done with wireless speakers, it always be a lag between the video and audio, even on Apple speakers.
Could be USB speakers a solution to get audio out on CS?

Bipp

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
I never tried that... I only connected a USB microphone, with no issues, to the USB 2.0 of the CS2740

That said, I think it will be probably better to connect the speakers, headphones etc directly to the output source (the MBP in this case) for video editing. I generally use in-ear monitors connected to the mini jack of the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.