Adobe Ripoff UK

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cabbit, May 14, 2007.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I have been egerly awaiting the launch of the Adobe Creative suite CS3, and after a little research desided the Design Premium holds the most value for me so i went to the UK apple store to check up on its price it turns out about 1650 pounds, now i go to check up on the US store as one of my friends that lives in the states asked about what price it would be there and it works out $1799. Witch is strange as it sould be $3,266.17, so why do designers in America get the software at half the price UK designers have to pay for it is that not some kind of illegal uncompetitive edge you US guys have been given. Technically i could get a cheep flight for a night over in new york, Buy the software then come home and still be better of.

Source:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A83CDA33&nplm=TM721LL/A

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A83CDA33&nplm=TM721

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

The problem is, you are expecting prices to be dynamicly based on currency exchanges. Since adobe is a large company, they won't sit and sell their product in European markets via american dollars (or American markets with the pound or euro). They have to set a price somewhere, and while I agree that with the current exchange rate, the price difference is a little hefty, perhaps this price had been set before the rates became so vastly different.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A little hefty? It is almost twice the price.

Lets be conservative here. Lets say they have to pay 25% tax (they don't), then lets add another 20% for shipping, warehouse fees etc. Plus another 20% extra profit, because we are European after all. That is still only 65% increase in price and those percentages are probably inflated over what Adobe has to pay.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

UK Prices include VAT, US prices do not (taxes are extra varying by location). Oddly, the Apple store UK is 5 pounds cheaper than the Adobe store UK, and the Adobe downloadable version is more expensive than the boxed version (?)

The Irish Adobe Store is € 2,418.79 inclu. VAT

5. Teddy's macrumors 6502

kinda unfair.
    The question is why?

Then again, I think about all my problems and then i go... "thats unfair, why?"

I suggest you to travel. Check in a nice hotel all inclusive. Go to an Apple store and snap. Hopefully you will not have the remorse of paying + $3K without enjoying it.

6. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Adobe's definately taking the piss and I for one won't encourage developers that hold to such pricing strategies by buying their products. :mad:

Interesting reading here.

7. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Yip i will be have a nice holiday and will have my adobe suite too ^_^

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think the simple reason is "Because they can". It seems similar to the pricing difference between the US and UK editions of Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade, where the US price is $99 and the UK price is £99, despite the fact the Pound buys roughly 2 dollars right now. Seemingly, Adobe and Microsoft decided that the UK market is willing to pay the prices they demand and so charge accordingly. In fact, It's common for my friends to joke when discussing the possible UK price when they see a price in USD that the company will simply switch $ for £ :rolleyes:

Also bear in mind as mentioned by CanadaRAM that US prices do not include sales tax, whereas the UK price includes VAT, but that doesn't even slightly make up for the difference in prices

It's absolutely disgusting that they feel the need to gouge customers in the UK, but until they get the message that people refuse to pay the price demanded, then expect it to continue.

Although given you can travel to New York and spend a night there, buy the software and return home again for less than just paying the US price, I know which option I'd go for!