Adobe Suite... Explain what each does?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    Ok, so I think everyone on the planet knows about photoshop. It provides simple to extremly complex photo editing, with an array of tools to help you. Also seems to be the industry standard.

    So what does the rest of the Suite do? Like "In Design" and "Illuatrator" and etc...
  2. shecky Guest


    May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    very basically:

    indesign - page layout
    illustrator - vector artwork
    flash - vector based motion graphics (web)
    after effects - raster based motion graphics (broadcast)
    bridge - file management/cataloging
    dreamweaver - web design
    acrobat - PDF authoring
    contribute - client web template editing
    fireworks - web graphics
    soundbooth - audio editing
    encore - video rendering tool
    version cue - file iteration
    on location - video capture tool (not sure on this one)

    granted, all these answers on on the adobe website.
  3. Multimedia macrumors 603


    Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    I Bought The Entire CS3 Master Collection Because They All Do Different Things

    My handle explains why. The education price for MC - $999 - is less than any two of the breakout packages all of which are missing something I need. And Adobe's education license includes letting you use what you buy that way for commercial purposes.

    InDesign is for paper page layout work.
    Illustrator is vector graphics that can help with
    Flash work which is vector animation.
    Fireworks is used to reduce file sizes and to comp
    Dreamweaver layouts saving you days of what would otherwise be tedious HTML work in Dreamweaver without it.
    After Effects can still work with FCP 6 and
    Soundbooth has audio production features Soundtrack Pro does not.
    Encore may also be a better way to author DVDs than DVDSP 4 although I don't know that for a fact yet.
  4. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    So in Design... Vector Graphics?

    What is that exactly? Sorry but im just seeing if I should get the whole suite or just "Photoshop"
  5. Multimedia macrumors 603


    Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    Vector = math Raster = pixels

    Vector Graphics are done with math instead of pixels. So they are ultra fast on the web. Photoshop is raster graphics done with pixels. Illustrator is Vector done with math. Perhaps you want to take a class in both at your local community college. You will definitely need both. Buying only photoshop is not a good deal. What do you want to do with your CS3 software?

    Your new MBP is a perfect platform for the whole Master Collection. And you can take it to classes at your community college and probably be faster than the computers they have there.
  6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a


    Mar 8, 2004
    American living in Canada
    Vector graphics are also smaller since they don't save data for each pixel. It is a large mathematical equation that creates an image when it is calculated.
  7. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    Well :p

    I am trying to start my own adult photography stuff lol, and when dealing with Photos, I want to know what to use.
  8. zioxide macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2006
    In Photography you'll only use Photoshop most likely, though if you're going to do pro work you might want a copy of Aperture or Lightroom for cataloging your images.

    Bottom line is if you don't know what the app does (like you don't know what vector art is in Illustrator), then you probably don't need that app. I think you'll be fine with just Photoshop and either Aperture/Lightroom.

Share This Page