Adobe SVG on Intel Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasp, Jun 2, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, does the Adobe SVG plugin for internet browsers work on Intel Macs? ( http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/main.html )

I notice that the latest release for the plugin (see link above) on Mac OS X is way back in 2001. I ask because I need to send someone a link to a webpage that contains SVG graphics, and they have an Intel Mac, but I only have a PPC Mac.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This actually may be a none issue. Firefox has built-in support for SVG and I think Safari does, but not 100% on that. Therefore the plug-in isn't all that needed on Mac anymore. I'm still on a PPC iBook so can't check things completely.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari does not support SVG natively

Adobe SVG plugin only run on PPC, so on intel, u need to run safari in rosetta, which, IMHO, not worth it

webkit nightly landed KSVG recently, so safari 3 (or recent nightly build of webkit) will (does) have SVG support natively, both on ppc and intel chip, again, REMIND ppl of great contribution from KDE team to safari.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If the site uses SVG animation or any of the more advanced features, you might just need to get them to run Safari in Rosetta mode - I've yet to see a Mac browser (or any browser) - including WebKit - that handles those as well as the Adobe plugin.

Edit: Opera does OK, once you give it the actual SVG files, even with animation. But... some pages don't load well. Likely because Opera want's them to legitimately use proper SVG and XML, but still... it can be problematic. Something like this is a decent (not phenomenal, but not bad) animation test.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Safari doesn't - it wouldn't even work till I downloaded the plugin. Firefox appears to have basic SVG support, but on my G4 PowerBook, it runs very, very slowly with the CPU virtually maxed out

How do you switch Safari to Rosetta, and is it easy to re-intelify it?

Will Safari 3 be released with Leopard?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

get info of safari, check that option of rosetta, there will be a significant hit on performance, u need to check to see if u like it.

Safari 3 will most probably be released with leopard, and has significant chance of not supporting 10.4,
    but again, u always have webkit nightly, altho it lacks something here and there.