Adobe Tests Doubling the Price of Photography Plan With Photoshop and Lightroom

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 2, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Adobe today quietly debuted new pricing for its Photography bundle, which has long been available for $9.99 per month. Starting today, Adobe's website is listing a price tag of $19.99 per month, which is double the previous price.

The bundle includes access to Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, and Lightroom Classic, and is aimed at photographers. In a statement provided to PetaPixel, Adobe said that it is testing new pricing tiers.

[​IMG]
    Most users appear to be seeing the updated pricing on the Adobe website, but there is a hidden section of the site where one can still purchase the Photography plan for $9.99 per month.

The new plan does offer 1TB of storage instead of 20GB of storage, but for those who do not use Adobe storage, the new pricing doubles the cost with no added benefit.

It is not clear if Adobe is planning permanent pricing changes for its Photography plan or if prices are going to change for existing subscribers in the future. If you previously signed up for the Photography option, you're likely paying $9.99 per month at the current time.

Adobe offers other plans, pricing a single app at $20.99 and access to all apps at $52.99 per month, but it has offered the lower-cost $9.99 per month Photography plan option since 2013.

Article Link: Adobe Tests Doubling the Price of Photography Plan With Photoshop and Lightroom

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

Test result: users are extremely angry
    Adobe CEO: "Great!"

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Cool, time for their users to test out ThePirateBay.

4. Mark0 macrumors 6502

Mark0

Terrible decision. They'll drive so many away to C1, Skylum etc...

5. Asarien macrumors 6502

6. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

Are they serious?!

I understand charging for software but Adobe are greedy especially considering they have some pretty strong competition now.

Not just increasing the price...oh no...we're going to double it! Well that's the decision made for me.

7. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Step one, create a barrel. Step two, get most of your customers over said barrel. Step three, gotcha.

8. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

Well if they change my plan to $19.99 I'll definitely cancel.

9. AronDraws macrumors 6502

AronDraws

I checked mine and it's still 9.99. If they raise it, I'm out. Dropping that like a hot potato.

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Shaka, when the subscription fell.

11. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

No.

Adobe CC's suffering from stagnation and bloat while being outrageously overpriced for the sluggish performance, especially in the face of competitors like Pixelmator and the Affinity apps, which don't require subscriptions at all.

Hell, Pixelmator Photo on the iPad is cheaper as a one-time purchase than the current monthly price of this photography package. It's outrageous.

Update: You can buy Pixelmator and Pixelmator Photo on iOS as one-time purchases for the same price as a month of this nonsense.

12. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

I run a large photographic society and so many of my members are moving to Affinity or other alternatives, this will just drive even more away.

13. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

this news comes 2 days after the announcement that aperture won't run on future os. coincidence? i don't think so!

14. banfiz macrumors newbie

banfiz

Try Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and soon Affinity Publisher
    They are all on the App Store, so powerful that they rival the Adobe products and a fraction of the price.
    Adobe are NOT alone in this and do not have the only products that can achieve powerful results.
    https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

15. mgollaher92 macrumors member

mgollaher92

I understand charging for software, even in this stupid “monthly service for everything” world we’re currently in. But $20 a month is absolutely absurd. I currently have the $9.99/month plan and even that is asking a bit much.

16. now i see it macrumors 68040

Photoshop via subscription is a life sucking abyss. Adobe owns all your images until eternity if you ever save them out as .psd.
    Subscription based photoshop is enough incentive to give up digital photography and computers forever, that's how vile it is.

17. mollyc macrumors 68000

As a serious hobbyist, I can justify the $10/month rate. I cannot justify twice that. I would probably go LR only for that price then find a PS alternative. :(

18. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

They’re taking advantage of Apple ending support of Aperture. Greed.

19. reden macrumors 6502a

I like how they list the most expensive plan as their most popular when it’s being tested lmao.

20. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

The comments are going to be filled with a lot of upset users.

Photographer: Doesn't blink at spending $1500-5000 on a new lens, or $3000-5000 on a new camera body, or $300-800 on a new tripod, or $400-900 on a new flash, or $150 a pop on new UHS-II SD cards, or $800-3000 on a Thunderbolt RAID setup and SSDs, or $3000-7000 on a new Mac, or $800-2000 on a second and third display, or thousands of dollars on lighting equipment and backdrops and travel and paying models and grips.

Also photographer: Freaks out at having to pay Adobe a couple hundred bucks a year to edit, organize, share, and store all of their photos.

21. Not-Sure Suspended

Not-Sure

All you need to do is to download the apps, and turn your wifi off when opening them, turn it on again and that is it. No need to subscribe or anything.

22. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

While I'm not a photographer and can't speak to the utility of Lightroom in particular, it's almost like these people view the Photography plan as barely worth what's being charged now and that doubling the price is simply outrageous, especially in the face of ever stronger competition.

Or something like that.

23. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

It was actually there yesterday as I was looking to see how much it would be to upgrade from Lightroom 5. I saw the $19.99 a month and went NOPE.

24. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

I haven't tried this using my own CC apps when I've allowed the subscription to lapse, but doesn't this quit working after like a month?

25. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Still on Photoshop CS6 and Sierra. I don't know what I will do because I know I will eventually need to upgrade.