Adobe Unveils Project Rush, an All-in-One Cross-Device Video Editing App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just ahead of VidCon, a conference designed for video makers, Adobe this morning unveiled Project Rush, an all-in-one cross-device video editing app that it plans to launch later this year.

Project Rush, unlike Adobe's existing Premiere Pro video editing software, is designed to be easy to learn and easy to use, similar to Apple's iMovie video editing software.

It will use technology from Premiere Pro and After Effects, but with simplified editing, color, audio, and tilting tools for a more intuitive user experience.

Adobe plans to make Project Rush available on both desktop machines and mobile devices, making video editing accessible no matter which device you happen to be using at the time.

With Project Rush, all of your editing projects will be synced to the cloud automatically, and it will also integrate with Adobe Stock and offer editable Motion Graphics templates for quick customization options.

Direct sharing tools with one-click publishing will let Project Rush content be uploaded right to YouTube and other social networks.

While Project Rush will launch later this year, Adobe is offering customers a chance to beta test the software. You can sign up for a chance to be a part of the beta on Adobe's Project Rush website.

Project Rush will be previewed at VidCon this week, with a product demo available on June 23 at 11:00 a.m. in Room 260.

Article Link: Adobe Unveils Project Rush, an All-in-One Cross-Device Video Editing App

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
This sounds promising. Price will be interesting to see. Let's hope it's not another subscription model. Can't imagine they'd tie it to CC if it's meant to compete with iMovie.

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
I can't even to afford to use Lightroom in the cloud as my library is 8 terabytes. They now want me to store dailies (300GB) in their cloud and upload it from hotel WiFi so I can trim clips on my iPhone. i'm an amateur but I'll stick with carrying a hard drive around with me. I think JUST my exported YouTube videos, the final h.264 videos is a folder that's 10 terabytes on my NAS. that's in 2 years of making videos. I don't know how these companies can get mass appeal with products like this

PS: I'm still looking for a one-time pay Lightroom alternative. Haven't moved to their subscription model yet. Any tips?

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
Why don’t they fix the stability and bugs in CC first before rolling out a new, sure-to-be, subscription app?

If you need an all-in-one editing app, it already exists and is called Final Cut Pro X. I use t whenever I can and enjoy it a lot more than Premiere.

scubachap

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
UK
To be discontinued next year
Ha ha, yes, quite. I wonder where this will fit.

If its subscription (and the cloud stuff hints at that) then why would you drop Premiere or AE for it? (Prem isn't that hard to use). If I remember correctly the elements versions of Adobe software were quite limited and I wouldn't have paid a sub for them.

For home use then we already have iMovie and also very competent and cheap options like Lumafusion etc. I would have thought it would have to be free or one off cheap and if any good then it might actually cannibalise exisiting Prem and Ae subscribers. That would be amusing. However - I do wonder if its just yet another attempt to market Adobe Stock.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Why don’t they fix the stability and bugs in CC first before rolling out a new, sure-to-be, subscription app?

If you need an all-in-one editing app, it already exists and is called Final Cut Pro X. I use t whenever I can and enjoy it a lot more than Premiere.
Most professionals still can't use Final Cut Pro X, but even if that wasn't true, a non-linear editing system is about preference. Your opinions might differ from others. Your logic is that Adobe should shut down an entire project because brianbobcat likes to use FCP?

Reactions: ignatius345

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
This is mostly due to their new anti-piracy strategy, and overall to simplify their tools and rebuild them more efficiently with cloud / mobile in mind. The state of their legacy software is a mess really, and inaccessible to newcomers. This project will likely replace Premiere in the coming years, because the same is occurring as Lightroom Classic is transitioning to the new CC aka Project Nimbus.

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
Kind of lost faith in Adobe after horrific customer support and the fact that my wife after shooting a wedding has to wait 3+ hours to import her photos from only 3 sd cards in Lightroom when 3 even larger cards in fcpx takes roughly 45 minutes. Pathetic.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Ha ha, yes, quite. I wonder where this will fit.

If its subscription (and the cloud stuff hints at that) then why would you drop Premiere or AE for it? (Prem isn't that hard to use). If I remember correctly the elements versions of Adobe software were quite limited and I wouldn't have paid a sub for them.

For home use then we already have iMovie and also very competent and cheap options like Lumafusion etc. I would have thought it would have to be free or one off cheap and if any good then it might actually cannibalise exisiting Prem and Ae subscribers. That would be amusing. However - I do wonder if its just yet another attempt to market Adobe Stock.
That was my first thought. They plug it relentlessly.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
For this to work for Adobe, I think they need to offer this for free. Apples iMovie is essentially comes with its hardware. Since Adobe has no platform of its own to get widely adopted offer it for free on all platforms. Once it has a wide adoption rate will allow vertical integration with its other software products such as Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro.

Reactions: ignatius345

triton100

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Most professionals still can't use Final Cut Pro X, but even if that wasn't true, a non-linear editing system is about preference. Your opinions might differ from others. Your logic is that Adobe should shut down an entire project because brianbobcat likes to use FCP?
Why can’t most professionals use Final Cut Pro? That’s a false statement

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
This is a weird market they may be going for since all the Adobe users I talk to say they use Adobe cuz it's so much more feature filled than FCPX and they need all that stuff to make youtube videos (tho they never do seem to use all the extra bells and whistles) I guess if this is free to use some may bite, but iMovie is free and FCPX is only $300 for life, and there's plenty of free options on Windows with a basic set of features. I guess they're appealing to Adobe users who also want their own version of iMovie for quicker work? But then why wouldn't you just use PP? Not sure but I get their motivation to appeal to internet editors since it's a growing market, I think Apple made the right move making software that kinda appeals to both types of users (power features, fast editing, intuitive UI, etc) but again, Adobe users always refer to Premiere Pro to being the superior software feature wise as the reason they use it, so this seems counter intuitive for that community.

triton100

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Uhh, ok

[googles "wtf is lumafusion"]
[doublepost=1529434952][/doublepost]
Yeah, why don't they just download the PC version of FCP? Oh wait.
‘professionals’ in the industry only use PCs ? When you come to a forum at least speak sense otherwise it devalues the debate.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
So where does this fit in their lineup? I imagine it is below Premier/After Effects at the moment.
Is it above, below, or replacing Elements?

Unless it can compete with Davinci Resolve 15, it better be a really cheap subscription.

The cross platform is interesting, but I would have to see something amazing to want to edit on a tablet/phone. Also, I'd have to trust Adobe. Judging from the weather reports, Hell isn't freezing over anytime soon.

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
Well it would be nice if apple made fcpx for iPad.. but until then, I’ll use this :)
Use LumaFusion now...
[doublepost=1529465931][/doublepost]
Uhh, ok

[googles "wtf is lumafusion"]
[doublepost=1529434952][/doublepost]
Yeah, why don't they just download the PC version of FCP? Oh wait.
Haha... that isn’t exactly how google works. Just visit the AppStore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.