Adobe Unveils Project Rush, an All-in-One Cross-Device Video Editing App

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just ahead of VidCon, a conference designed for video makers, Adobe this morning unveiled Project Rush, an all-in-one cross-device video editing app that it plans to launch later this year.

Project Rush, unlike Adobe's existing Premiere Pro video editing software, is designed to be easy to learn and easy to use, similar to Apple's iMovie video editing software.

[​IMG]

It will use technology from Premiere Pro and After Effects, but with simplified editing, color, audio, and tilting tools for a more intuitive user experience.

Adobe plans to make Project Rush available on both desktop machines and mobile devices, making video editing accessible no matter which device you happen to be using at the time.

With Project Rush, all of your editing projects will be synced to the cloud automatically, and it will also integrate with Adobe Stock and offer editable Motion Graphics templates for quick customization options.

Direct sharing tools with one-click publishing will let Project Rush content be uploaded right to YouTube and other social networks.

While Project Rush will launch later this year, Adobe is offering customers a chance to beta test the software. You can sign up for a chance to be a part of the beta on Adobe's Project Rush website.

Project Rush will be previewed at VidCon this week, with a product demo available on June 23 at 11:00 a.m. in Room 260.

Article Link: Adobe Unveils Project Rush, an All-in-One Cross-Device Video Editing App

2. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

jfrancis04

This sounds promising. Price will be interesting to see. Let's hope it's not another subscription model. Can't imagine they'd tie it to CC if it's meant to compete with iMovie.

3. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I can't even to afford to use Lightroom in the cloud as my library is 8 terabytes. They now want me to store dailies (300GB) in their cloud and upload it from hotel WiFi so I can trim clips on my iPhone. i'm an amateur but I'll stick with carrying a hard drive around with me. I think JUST my exported YouTube videos, the final h.264 videos is a folder that's 10 terabytes on my NAS. that's in 2 years of making videos. I don't know how these companies can get mass appeal with products like this

PS: I'm still looking for a one-time pay Lightroom alternative. Haven't moved to their subscription model yet. Any tips?

4. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

5. brianbobcat macrumors regular

Why don’t they fix the stability and bugs in CC first before rolling out a new, sure-to-be, subscription app?

If you need an all-in-one editing app, it already exists and is called Final Cut Pro X. I use t whenever I can and enjoy it a lot more than Premiere.

6. scubachap macrumors newbie

Ha ha, yes, quite. I wonder where this will fit.

If its subscription (and the cloud stuff hints at that) then why would you drop Premiere or AE for it? (Prem isn't that hard to use). If I remember correctly the elements versions of Adobe software were quite limited and I wouldn't have paid a sub for them.

For home use then we already have iMovie and also very competent and cheap options like Lumafusion etc. I would have thought it would have to be free or one off cheap and if any good then it might actually cannibalise exisiting Prem and Ae subscribers. That would be amusing. However - I do wonder if its just yet another attempt to market Adobe Stock.

7. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Well yeah... but only if you're a Mac user.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Most professionals still can't use Final Cut Pro X, but even if that wasn't true, a non-linear editing system is about preference. Your opinions might differ from others. Your logic is that Adobe should shut down an entire project because brianbobcat likes to use FCP?

9. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

Which doesn't exist on Windows or iOS or Android...

10. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

This is mostly due to their new anti-piracy strategy, and overall to simplify their tools and rebuild them more efficiently with cloud / mobile in mind. The state of their legacy software is a mess really, and inaccessible to newcomers. This project will likely replace Premiere in the coming years, because the same is occurring as Lightroom Classic is transitioning to the new CC aka Project Nimbus.

11. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Because this is a new sure-to-be-subscription app. $$$

12. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

jfrancis04

13. icrude macrumors regular

Kind of lost faith in Adobe after horrific customer support and the fact that my wife after shooting a wedding has to wait 3+ hours to import her photos from only 3 sd cards in Lightroom when 3 even larger cards in fcpx takes roughly 45 minutes. Pathetic.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

That was my first thought. They plug it relentlessly.

16. R10k macrumors member

Then use LumaFusion.

17. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

For this to work for Adobe, I think they need to offer this for free. Apples iMovie is essentially comes with its hardware. Since Adobe has no platform of its own to get widely adopted offer it for free on all platforms. Once it has a wide adoption rate will allow vertical integration with its other software products such as Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro.

18. triton100 macrumors 6502

Why can’t most professionals use Final Cut Pro? That’s a false statement

19. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Uhh, ok

[googles "wtf is lumafusion"]
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2018 ---
    Yeah, why don't they just download the PC version of FCP? Oh wait.

20. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

This is a weird market they may be going for since all the Adobe users I talk to say they use Adobe cuz it's so much more feature filled than FCPX and they need all that stuff to make youtube videos (tho they never do seem to use all the extra bells and whistles) I guess if this is free to use some may bite, but iMovie is free and FCPX is only $300 for life, and there's plenty of free options on Windows with a basic set of features. I guess they're appealing to Adobe users who also want their own version of iMovie for quicker work? But then why wouldn't you just use PP? Not sure but I get their motivation to appeal to internet editors since it's a growing market, I think Apple made the right move making software that kinda appeals to both types of users (power features, fast editing, intuitive UI, etc) but again, Adobe users always refer to Premiere Pro to being the superior software feature wise as the reason they use it, so this seems counter intuitive for that community.

21. triton100 macrumors 6502

‘professionals’ in the industry only use PCs ? When you come to a forum at least speak sense otherwise it devalues the debate.

22. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Well it would be nice if apple made fcpx for iPad.. but until then, I’ll use this :)

23. v3rlon macrumors 6502

So where does this fit in their lineup? I imagine it is below Premier/After Effects at the moment.
    Is it above, below, or replacing Elements?

Unless it can compete with Davinci Resolve 15, it better be a really cheap subscription.

The cross platform is interesting, but I would have to see something amazing to want to edit on a tablet/phone. Also, I'd have to trust Adobe. Judging from the weather reports, Hell isn't freezing over anytime soon.

24. R10k macrumors member

Use LumaFusion now...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2018 ---
    Haha... that isn’t exactly how google works. Just visit the AppStore.

25. Zenithal macrumors 603

Another Adobe software most people won't ever know about or care about learning.