Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lightroom.jpg
Adobe today updated its Lightroom app for iOS devices with support for Apple's latest iPhones and iPads.

Lightroom CC for iOS will now display properly on Apple's fall devices, including the 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, the iPhone XR, the iPhone XS, and the iPhone XS Max.

Today's update also introduces support for the second-generation Apple Pencil, allowing you to double tap on the Pencil to switch between paint and erase modes with selective tools.

Adobe's Lightroom for iOS is designed to work in conjunction with the Lightroom CC app for Mac, but it can be used on a standalone basis, too. Lightroom is free, but a Premium subscription is required to unlock cloud storage and all of the app's features.

Adobe Lightroom CC can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Updates Lightroom for iOS With Support for New iPad Pro, Apple Pencil 2, iPhone XS, and iPhone XR

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
As long as the subscription model applies, I will not give gifts to Grandpa Adobe.
Same with Adobe Premiere:
I'm willing to pay reasonable money for good program developers, but not for 'resourceful' marketing concepts.
Paying every year as much as the equivalent FinalCut costs once is usury IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray2 and RustyIron

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
What does this even mean?

Why do Apple Pencil 2 gestures have to be set within each app? Relying on app developers means we are doing the Apple Watch complications all over again (edit: we are STILL dealing with the aftermath of the new complications).

First off, there should be universal gestures controlled by iOS. I am getting pretty tired of having to rely on app developers to implement hardware functionality that could have easily been part of the os.

Secondly, I’m sure that most on screen buttons have a code assigned to them that could be used to pair gestures with app specific actions. There must be a way to allow users to attach app specific gestures without relying on developer implementation.

For example I want to assign app gestures to allow me to a specific OneDrive folder, copy calculator values to the clipboard, and launch non-active apps. I shouldn’t have to nag the developer, build an app myself, or change apps just to take advantage of my $100 stylus.

You’re probably questioning the “previous functionality” comment. I’m not sure what they meant by that either, but their heart was in right place even if the outrage wasn’t clearly defined.
[doublepost=1542452523][/doublepost]
Oh Morgenland. Adobe stuff does not cost 299USD every month.

It’s $80 a month. I think they might have meant every quarter. It’s a psychological thing. The cost of tools is balanced by the payoff rate. If I buy a new ultrasound machine, there are upfront costs and maintenance fees. Once the upfront costs are recouped I can lower my prices to be more competitive. Adobe’s subscription pricing makes this impossible because you can no longer pay off the cost of the tools because it’s bundled with the maintance fees. This is the same as how US mobile carriers used to bundle equipment cost into the plan.

When some people buy things they consider how long they have to pay for it vs how long they expect to be able to use it. $120 costs more than $10 a month after 12 months. The difference is that Adobe customers often waited 5 years because the software cost $7000+.

I get that adobe doesn’t do this because people were skipping updates. However, that was a marketing issue where users didn’t see what value was being added for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlumaMac

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
The photography plan is $10/month which includes Lightroom, which is what we are talking about in this thread. The All Apps Plan is $53.
Listen, I think those prices are outrageous and I wouldn't pay for All Apps ever. But $10-$53 <> $300. Just want to keep conversations honest.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The photography plan is $10/month which includes Lightroom, which is what we are talking about in this thread. The All Apps Plan is $53.
Listen, I think those prices are outrageous and I wouldn't pay for All Apps ever. But $10-$53 <> $300. Just want to keep conversations honest.

You’re missing the + Adobe Stock, which is very relevant to Lightroom. You are also forgetting that Business plans start at $79.99 / month for all apps and is $33 / month for single apps. That’s $396 to $959 a year.

Lightroom alone used to cost $299. A business user would reach that cost in 9 months (@ $33 a month) while a individual user would reach it in 2 1/2 years (@ $10 a month). Sure, there is other stuff in the photography pack, but Lightroom isn’t available alone at a lower cost.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You’re missing the + Adobe Stock, which is very relevant to Lightroom. You are also forgetting that Business plans start at $79.99 / month for all apps and is $33 / month for single apps. That’s $396 to $959 a year.

Lightroom alone used to cost $299. A business user would reach that cost in 9 months (@ $33 a month) while a individual user would reach it in 2 1/2 years (@ $10 a month). Sure, there is other stuff in the photography pack, but Lightroom isn’t available alone at a lower cost.

So $10/month over 2.5 years which includes Lightroom, Photoshop, and Adobe Cloud (which provides sync functionality between desktop & mobile devices) plus all the upgrades that come in between isn’t low enough?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
So $10/month over 2.5 years which includes Lightroom, Photoshop, and Adobe Cloud (which provides sync functionality between desktop & mobile devices) plus all the upgrades that come in between isn’t low enough?

No. You miss the point. If you just want one of those apps, and don’t care about future additional features, than its overpriced. At 10 a month you never pay off the software. The standard buy/upgrade model meant that developers had to provide enough value that people would be willing to pay for your software again. Now Adobe could go as long as they want without updating the software and you continue to pay regardless. Meanwhile they offer no discounts if you can’t update due to compatibility issues. Bug fixes have and should always be free, but new features should either be free or optional.

I have a copy of photoshop I purchased back in 2002 still running on a mirror door drive Mac that works just fine. Sure, it’s slower than modern computers, and has less features, but it does its job just like it did when I bought it. Updates would have broke my workflow, and honestly I don’t need them. The machine runs an automated camera arm, and I use photoshop to do some light work without having to transfer files. I want to say the software was $500 when I bought it, but if I had been paying monthly it would have cost me $2k so far. I have spare Macs to replace it when it dies, and even if I didn’t the cost for one of those machines is far less than what adobe expects people to pay for their software.

The subscription model also adds other problems. You can’t run the software on an exlusively off the grid machine. You can’t get bug fixes exclusively while avoiding taking major point updates. And there is the issue of hardware requirements; if I buy their software today, and I pay monthly, I expect them to support my machine in 20 years if I am still paying for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HacKage

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
What exactly did they have to change to "support iPhone Xs"? I see literally no difference in controls or quality of the pictures.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
The Adobe education deal is pretty good, if you happen to be an educator/student. The Black Friday sale has it for £13.xx/month, which gives you access to all CC apps (or at least the vast majority). I think I currently pay £16.xx for the same plan and it’s due to go up to £25/mo after the first year. That’s when I really need to decide on things.

Apple offers its Pro Apps bundle for £180 (education pricing). With FCX and Logic Pro, I can abandon Premiere and Audition. I don’t even use Photoshop, because my workflow bounces between GIMP and Pixelmator. So, the only thing lost by dumping Adobe would be full versions of Acrobat and Animate, which I use occasionally. If I can find a decent replacement 2D animation tool, I’d happily drop that as well. My professional life doesn’t require these tools and I only use them for my hobbies. As a result, an endless monthly subscription gets a bit daunting after a while.

The problem with subscriptions is that they really start adding up and include things you’ll never use just to justify the monthly fee. It’s like cable channel bundles in the US. But yeah, if I went through and tallied up all my subs (Netflix, Amazon, newspapers, digital magazines, other software, etc.), I’m sure the monthly cost would be staggering.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
The Adobe education deal is pretty good, if you happen to be an educator/student. The Black Friday sale has it for £13.xx/month, which gives you access to all CC apps (or at least the vast majority). I think I currently pay £16.xx for the same plan and it’s due to go up to £25/mo after the first year. That’s when I really need to decide on things.

Apple offers its Pro Apps bundle for £180 (education pricing). With FCX and Logic Pro, I can abandon Premiere and Audition. I don’t even use Photoshop, because my workflow bounces between GIMP and Pixelmator. So, the only thing lost by dumping Adobe would be full versions of Acrobat and Animate, which I use occasionally. If I can find a decent replacement 2D animation tool, I’d happily drop that as well. My professional life doesn’t require these tools and I only use them for my hobbies. As a result, an endless monthly subscription gets a bit daunting after a while.

The problem with subscriptions is that they really start adding up and include things you’ll never use just to justify the monthly fee. It’s like cable channel bundles in the US. But yeah, if I went through and tallied up all my subs (Netflix, Amazon, newspapers, digital magazines, other software, etc.), I’m sure the monthly cost would be staggering.

Yeah, you're certainly right. Subscription models for music, magazines and virtual storage (iCloud) are comprehensible. This is where new things are offered.
But update-overloaded-software-monster subscriptions are outrageous. Analysts assume such stuff won't find any enthusiastic followers in 5 years when people start calculating.

At the beginning I thought that I could try things out cheaply.
But the marketing of these companies already knows how to squeeze customers.

Therefore, I have increasingly freed myself from software subscriptions, and I noticed more and more of my friends are also getting out of their software subscriptions, and switch back to standalone applications (e.g Photoshop -> Affinity). This feels more relaxed. And reasonable for the wallet.

Adobe will notice this painfully. Whenever. That's no longer my concern.
I am amazed that Microsoft has just learned: Besides the subscription and cloud nonsense it continues to offer a standalone version (Office 2019). Great. In Adobe, this hope can no longer be placed, I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2499723 and Altis

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Great. Now if only they would add curves adjustment to the iOS app and it would be nearly complete.

People would be a lot happier if they would accept the fact that things are now in the cloud and agile development across all different devices sizes and categories is the norm, therefore subscription pricing isn’t going anywhere and will only become more common. If you don’t like it, buy something else, it isn’t hurting Adobe in the slightest which has more users now than ever. Just stop and leave. You don’t have to use it.

“Oh but it’s the best in the industry!” So then you gotta pay up! That’s how things work. The best tool is often one of the most expensive. And that gets at the core of the issue. Everyone here complaining knows that Lightroom is the best photo editing and organizing suite and they’re just mad they have to pay a little more for it. Get over it. If you’re a real professional, this critical tool is a drop in the bucket compared to your annual income. Why not increase your rates slightly if it’s breaking your back? It’s a couple coffees per month. Just stop it, you’re all making yourselves look foolish on a public forum. Grown ass “professionals” whining about $10/mo? Give me a freaking break. I can cover four years of Creative Cloud “All Apps” ($50/mo) on a single two week project.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Great. Now if only they would add curves adjustment to the iOS app and it would be nearly complete.

People would be a lot happier if they would accept the fact that things are now in the cloud and agile development across all different devices sizes and categories is the norm, therefore subscription pricing isn’t going anywhere and will only become more common. If you don’t like it, buy something else, it isn’t hurting Adobe in the slightest which has more users now than ever. Just stop and leave. You don’t have to use it.

“Oh but it’s the best in the industry!” So then you gotta pay up! That’s how things work. The best tool is often one of the most expensive. And that gets at the core of the issue. Everyone here complaining knows that Lightroom is the best photo editing and organizing suite and they’re just mad they have to pay a little more for it. Get over it. If you’re a real professional, this critical tool is a drop in the bucket compared to your annual income. Why not increase your rates slightly if it’s breaking your back? It’s a couple coffees per month. Just stop it, you’re all making yourselves look foolish on a public forum. Grown ass “professionals” whining about $10/mo? Give me a freaking break. I can cover four years of Creative Cloud “All Apps” ($50/mo) on a single two week project.

If YOU are a 'real professional', you pay anything for your standalone and you don't need subscription models. These are also more difficult to handle from a tax point of view.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If YOU are a 'real professional', you pay anything for your standalone and you don't need subscription models. These are also more difficult to handle from a tax point of view.
I’m a professional and I don’t spend time worrying about saving a few bucks on my taxes for $120 software. In the time it takes to calculate that I could be out making money. This whole thread must be full of some down and out “professionals” who are barely scraping by. Raise your rates slightly or work an extra hour or two per year to pay for it. Who gives a crap about $120 in the grand scheme of a year of work?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Still not a fan of this model where developers have to keep updating apps to maintain previous functionality because Apple doesn't care about breaking things in iOS.

MacOS is the same. Every major update seems to break a ton of software.

By contrast, I can still use Photoshop CS3 on any modern Windows machine without issue. Don't have to worry about subscription models either since I gave it up and went back to CS3 and Lightroom 4, which do things pretty well just the same for my casual use.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
For those who never tire of discussions about Adobe's susbscription model, how about starting a separate thread and keeping these endless discussions there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.