Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe Updates Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and Character Animator

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced the launch of its traditional spring update for Creative Cloud apps that include Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and Character Animator. Adobe says that this year's updates focus on efficiency and performance for maximizing creativity.

Both Premiere Pro and After Effects include ProRes RAW support, offering a cross-platform solution for Apple ProRES RAW workflows, and automatic audio hardware switching is available on Mac for After Effects, Media Encoder, Audition, Character Animator, Prelude, Premiere Pro, and Premiere Rush. That means when you swap audio devices or plug in headphones, your Mac recognizes the hardware and the Adobe app automatically switches to it.

Premiere Pro is gaining an improved Pen tool with better support for Bezier curves and more precision for lines and shapes, plus filter effects that show attributes limited to keyframes or adjusted parameters for focusing what's currently active.

Adobe is improving the speed of Auto Reframe in Premiere Pro, enhancing the tool that's designed to reformat and reposition video in different aspect ratios for users who need to create videos for multiple social media and content platforms. Premiere Pro is also gaining support for audio files in Creative Cloud Libraries.

In After Effects, Adobe is adding Tapered Shape Strokes for creating tapered, wavy, pointed, or rounded strokes on shape layers, which can then be animated for stylized looks and motion designs.

There's also a Concentric Shape Repeater available in the Offset Paths shape to create copies of a path that radiate outward or inward for retro designs. New Mask and Shape cursor indicators in After Effects clearly display which tool is in use to prevent unnecessary un-dos when creating shapes and masks.

Adobe Premiere Rush for iOS is being updated with a tool for resizing projects to the 4:5 aspect ratio used for Facebook and Instagram, and back camera switching allows users to capture video from all of the rear camera options on an iPhone. Premiere Rush is also gaining an option to import media directly from the Files app.

Character Animator features improvements to audio triggers and timeline filtering, along with a new collection of background puppets to work with.

All of Adobe's Creative Cloud updates will be available starting today, with additional information on what's new available on Adobe's site. Adobe's full Creative Cloud plans, which cover the complete range of Adobe CC software, start at $52.99 per month.

Article Link: Adobe Updates Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and Character Animator

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
"Adobe says that this year's updates focus on efficiency and performance for maximizing creativity."

Erm... MULTI-CORE PROCESSING IN AFTER EFFECTS?
But it automatically detects audio devices now. And you want faster renders... :p

Comment

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
"Adobe says that this year's updates focus on efficiency and performance for maximizing creativity."

With caveats , yes ...

"For CPUs, clock speed matters more for After Effects. Multiple cores have more impact for Premiere Pro. The sweet spot for running both applications is a fast CPU with 8 cores. ...
...8 cores are ideal for Premiere Pro. The application can use more cores, but without significant added benefit. Depending on the task, Premiere Pro runs at 93-98% efficiency with 8 cores. ...

Upgrade your After Effects system in this order of priority:

1. More RAM — 128GB is a good target for top-of-the-line systems.
  2. Faster (or more) SSD or NVMe drives
  3. Faster GPU (or additional GPUs) for faster rendering and export
  4. Faster CPU
"

There are multicores in the GPU. But an effect entirely limited to x86 .. not so much.

Comment

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016

4. Faster CPU
"

There are multicores in the GPU. But an effect entirely limited to x86 .. not so much.

GPUs in After Effects are not worth prioritising over CPUs. A high-end GPU will be wasted in After Effects. Instead, you want the fastest single core CPU that also balances multi-core for Premiere (that's why the 9900K is pretty perfect).

[automerge]1589902552[/automerge]

Comment

sakagura

Suspended
Feb 29, 2020
'This release adds support for Apple ProRes RAW, hardware accelerated encoding on Windows for H.264 and HEVC using NVIDIA and AMD GPUs'

Not on macOS though. We get encoding on the CPU's encoder (Skylake and later).

Comment

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
This update fixes the issues we all had exporting to AME.

Only affected those with specific plug-ins.

Thanks Adobe.

Comment

macbeth1026

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
This update fixes the issues we all had exporting to AME.

Only affected those with specific plug-ins.

Thanks Adobe.
Oh for real? I’ve been running an older version of AE and AME because I could never get my comps to open in AME. I’ll have to give it a go with this new update.

Comment

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
GPUs in After Effects are not worth prioritising over CPUs. A high-end GPU will be wasted in After Effects. Instead, you want the fastest single core CPU that also balances multi-core for Premiere (that's why the 9900K is pretty perfect).

the "upgrade" in the Adobe list is probably premised on the recommendations that preceded it on that page. That upgrade list isn't saying buy the slowest possible clock CPU to start with. Once you do have something in the range they recommend and have more money to spend later... what do you buy.

I don't see indications that is with the lastest drop of After Effects. The point is where is Adobe focusing their multiprocessor effects. It is clearly on GPU cores. People waiting on dramatic x86 core changes aren't looking at the lists. Over the long term the growth in new "mulitcore" features are far more likely to show up in GPUs than in CPUs.

If started with the "minimal" GPU in the Adobe recommended ( 4GB VRAM) then moving up will probably lead to improvements over the baseline. For example, post #7 above where the GPU video en/decoding has shown up in Windows. Leveraging the latest encoders on the latest GPUs will make a difference.

Comment

sakagura

Suspended
Feb 29, 2020
The rendering engine is still an inconsistent buggy crap. I just tested it.
Loaded project in After Effects.
Send for rendering in Media Encoder.
All settings set to Hardware encoding on GPU.
First two times it rendered on CPU.
Third and fourth time it rendered on GPU. EXTREMELY FAST RENDERING.
Then fifth time it rendered on CPU.

Makes no sense. Sometimes it will start rendering on the CPU and then transfer to the GPU in the last 30%.

What a joke.

Comment

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
the "upgrade" in the Adobe list is probably premised on the recommendations that preceded it on that page. That upgrade list isn't saying buy the slowest possible clock CPU to start with. Once you do have something in the range they recommend and have more money to spend later... what do you buy.

I don't see indications that is with the lastest drop of After Effects. The point is where is Adobe focusing their multiprocessor effects. It is clearly on GPU cores. People waiting on dramatic x86 core changes aren't looking at the lists. Over the long term the growth in new "mulitcore" features are far more likely to show up in GPUs than in CPUs.

If started with the "minimal" GPU in the Adobe recommended ( 4GB VRAM) then moving up will probably lead to improvements over the baseline. For example, post #7 above where the GPU video en/decoding has shown up in Windows. Leveraging the latest encoders on the latest GPUs will make a difference.

Oh there’s no doubt they’re shifting over to GPU but it’s minimal and it doesn’t speed up render times as such. It obviously uses the GPU to process some effects but having a higher core count is far more important for the foreseeable future. I only wanted to point it out as some people may have read your comment and spent a load of money on a GPU when it makes more sense to focus on RAM, SSD and CPU for now. I have a PC with 2 x RTX 2080’s and the render times are almost identicle to my iMac. Both have the same amount of RAM (64gb) and the same CPU.

Comment

ComRadMac

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
I'm hoping this update fixes Premiere 2020, which is deeply broken. I had to go back to 2019, as 2020 was basically unusable. Good example of why not to "delete previous version" when installing, I'll never do that again.

Comment

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2019
London
The weakest AE update in years.

So I feel like Adobe have lost the source code for the the UI / Timeline of after effects. Nothing changed in a decade! The project window should be a bin system - multiple windows if you want..
In 4K - the Preview window is minute - And why not just have thumbnails of you want - like a Premiere Bin?

Layer Groups!!! How hard is It to have layers under a open / close. Like Flash animator has..or they could just be expandable compositions - I know their are scripts but they are shonky and rely on using the comments

Timeline is terrible For a lot of reasons - All the info could be in a side panel rather than twirling down countless scroll outs.

Node effects?

AE basically has no direct competitor. Nuke is £$000s - Fusion / Resolve is great for some stuff - but no one has brough out a decent vector / Bitmap / Video Compostitor that is great for VFX and Motion GFX.

Personally I am watching https://cavalry.scenegroup.co/ - Still in Beta and no Video yet... but the beta is looking fantastic.

Or if the rumors of a Maxon C4D-UI Compositor are true - it would be awesome.

Comment

ebatalha

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Adobe is a joke. AE can't even play a video without any effects applied - are we still in the 90's??!! Premiere needs a beast of a machine to play smoothly, poor guy… Adobe needs to optimize their software but it seems that's not in their plans, instead they need to have a brute force from hardware to run anything where others don't need so much to run soooo much better.

Comment

The Other One

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
On a whim, I exported an edit I did last year in Premiere (roughly 10 minutes long) into 1080p H.264 with the last version of Premiere and Media Encoder, then updated and repeated the tests. Virtually no difference when exporting directly from Premiere, but Media Encoder was around 5% faster than the previous version (however, in both cases, exporting directly from Premiere was about 10% faster than using Media Encoder, which surprised me).

I've never really paid much attention to export times, since I'm more interested in timeline performance during an edit. I don't typically sit and watch the progress bar on exports, so I don't especially care. But I still found it an interesting experiment, since I used one of my edits using footage my company shot on our own cameras.

Then, for kicks, I did a simple re-encode of a 2-minute long UHD clip (XAVC), exporting to H.264 in UHD in both Premiere and Resolve Studio. Resolve was literally 5x faster on the export than Premiere. <banging head on desk> Too bad I don't use Resolve.

Comment

MVMNT

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
With caveats , yes ...

"For CPUs, clock speed matters more for After Effects. Multiple cores have more impact for Premiere Pro. The sweet spot for running both applications is a fast CPU with 8 cores. ...
...8 cores are ideal for Premiere Pro. The application can use more cores, but without significant added benefit. Depending on the task, Premiere Pro runs at 93-98% efficiency with 8 cores. ...

4. Faster CPU
"

After Effects workflow is crippled by single core CPU support. Who even runs a single core machine now? They took Multicore OUT years ago too.

May as well add RGB lighting if that list is anything to go by

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.