Adobe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

When i recieved a stack of document in pdf (say 10 pgs), i have a problem to re-save a certain portion of it (say pg 5 to 8), with pop up advise in "A" and when I follow the advise in A, I got "B".

My current is Adobe Reader 9.2.0.

Is it because mine is just a reader or what? I don't have a problem using my PC to resaved a portion of it and that Reader is only version 7.

If you think I need to install or re-install again another Reader, can you point to me a legitimate site.

Thanks

A
    [​IMG]

B
    [​IMG]

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes. Adobe Reader is a limited and mostly read-only application.

It's also possible that the document may have some security features enabled on it that disables printing and other forms of editing. Not sure whether the app, Preview, can do a little PDF editing as I rarely use it, but it might be worth trying that out, seeing if you can print your chosen page range to PDF.

If it's just a simple and quick one-off thing, you can attach the PDF here and I can edit it down for you if you like, using Acrobat Pro.

3. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for your help.
    I have tried Preview and can't do the job. I'm not trying to do any editing at all but just to resave a certain range. As I mentioned, I have no problem with my PC using even an older version reader 7.

Any more suggestion?

Thanks

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, that represents editing from Adobe's point of view. Not sure why you're having luck with an earlier version of Reader on Windows. It's probable that later versions of Reader have crippled this form of editing, so trying to get your hands on something like Reader 7 or 8 for Mac might be worth trying out.

You can get Reader 8 from here. Version 7 seems difficult to find.

Let me try and get this straight: from Preview or Reader, you're trying to print a range of pages, then selecting Save to PDF. Correct?

5. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

That's correct. Either Preview or Reader will not save a specific range after commanding it to print, then select save as pdf. But both will work if save as a complete document but that's not what I want.

So you think Reader 8 will eradicate this problem?

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Are there any security settings on the document at all???

7. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know. Anyway, it happen to all pdf files send by different people. So I rule out the possibilities of co-incident security setting by all these different senders.

But if I were to type out my own letter and saved in doc., I have no problem to print/resave from this doc to pdf in any specific page.