Adobe

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chezhoy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

I went back a few pages in this thread and didn't see anything. Don't crucify me for asking, but is Adobe needed at all on a Mac? I've had my MacBook since last year and have no idea if I really need it or not. I really like the functionality of it when using online textbooks...but not sure if I need that or Flash.

Thanks in advance!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Adobe is a company, that creates and releases several applications, Flash is only one of them. You don't need Flash, but Flash is already installed on your Mac to view many of the Flash-only webpages.

You can disable Flash content in Safari via ClickToFlash.

Or do you mean something else? Can you be more specific?

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. chezhoy thread starter macrumors regular

chezhoy

As far as flash, .pdf viewing, etc...not sure what else they do other than that.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can view PDFs via Safari or Preview, as PDF is built right into the core of the OS. And as said before, Flash comes pre-installed.

As you don't really say, what you want, I take a blind guess here:

You don't need to uninstall anything to use your MacBook, unless you don't want to view Flash content ever and ClickToFlash is not ugly enough.
    Or do you have any other Adobe software installed, that generates some issue?

Again, can you please be more specific what you want?

I read your original post (OP) four times now, and am still lost.

And what about that thread title?

5. kasakka macrumors 68020

I'm guessing he's asking if he needs Adobe Reader. In which case the answer is NO! Don't install that piece of crap on your system. Preview does PDFs just fine.

6. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Your thinking is on track. Adobe isn't needed on the Mac Platform. Adobe is a Lazy company, they had all the talent in the desktop publishing arena but they've decided to just be Lazy and not innovate, and instead they persecute there customers with the closed platform know as Flash.

Check Apples website, but there are better alternatives to the inflated, CS Suites.

Flash is dead overall and more importantly dead on the Mac, so don't expect Apple to waste time on Old Technology.

For what you want to do, you don't need adobe or their Old products.

7. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

I wish you good luck with PDF forms - Preview doesn't handle advanced PDF features well, if it handles them at all.

8. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

It does.

If it doesn't for his needs, there are better alternatives to adobe.

9. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

Maybe you should define what you mean with "Adobe".

I'm pretty sure that Photoshop, Dreamweaver and the army of other Adobe creative/design applications are definitely needed on the Mac, especially since there are no real alternatives to them on - any - platform.

Or are you just talking about the browser plugins? Of course you need Flash on the Mac: HTML5 still is nowhere to be seen, and it's not even an accepted standard yet. Everybody's TALKING about HTML5, but at this point in time, HTML5 is still a Science-Fiction technology.

Do you need the Adobe Reader? It depends on the kind of PDF files that you need to open, view, print and maybe even edit. Apple's Preview application handles most of the basic stuff at an acceptable level, but there's plenty of stuff where you just need Adobe Reader and its advanced PDF support.

At the end of the day, you'll need to install a bunch of additional software on BOTH Windows and Mac OS X to get a fully functional system that satisfies one's needs. Windows has some tools on board that OS X lacks and OS X in turn lacks some features that Windows has out of the box. Neither platform is ready for "prime time" use out of the box. (The same is true for any flavor of Linux, by the way.)

10. chezhoy thread starter macrumors regular

chezhoy

Yes, mostly Adobe Reader and Flash...but I understand Flash is used for a variety of things. I am so used to Reader for Windows that I put it on my MacBook because it has a decent amount of features. I didn't know if the standard .PDF reader on that comes with a Mac would suffice or not. I hear issues with Adobe (and it's updates) for Macs and wanted to get a clearer picture.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

HTML5 is not time travel or teleportation. HTML5 is the next version of HTML after HTML4. Most websites today are based on HTML4. Most sites in the future will be based on HTML5. FUD from the Adobe peanut gallery notwithstanding.