Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced that its Digital Publishing Suite will incorporate support for Apple's forthcoming Newsstand feature for iOS 5. Newsstand is intended to serve as the organization hub for digital subscriptions in iOS 5, offering users easy access to the latest content downloaded in the background.

ios_5_newsstand.jpg

Adobe's software will allow publishers to create digital editions of their magazine and newspaper applications that automatically deliver content to the Newsstand application on iOS devices. The compatibility will launch "soon after" Apple debuts iOS 5, which is expected sometime this fall.
Publishers will be able to use Digital Publishing Suite to create files that are detected by Newsstand and automatically downloaded to the Newsstand shelf, eliminating long download times which can present a barrier to reading content on iPad devices. Applications built with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite and enabled for Newsstand will allow publishers to better merchandise their content with support for Newsstand push notifications and icon covers displayed on the Newsstand shelf, reflecting the latest issue of the magazine or newspaper.
A number of publishers including Condé Nast and Reader's Digest have utilized Adobe's publishing tools to bring their content to the iPad, making Newsstand compatibility for Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite an important step toward making Newsstand the one-stop place for users to manage their digital subscription content on their iOS devices.

Article Link: Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite to Support Newsstand for iOS 5

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Yeah, we've been playing with this in the office for the last half a year or so during the beta phase. It's a nice system for putting a magazine together, will be even stronger with this service added in to the mix.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
As much fun as playing around with the iOS 5 betas is, it's features like these which take advantage of the iOS 5 SDK that get me truly excited for the platform.

Now if only Apple would update the Maps app. It's getting a bit worse for wear.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The last time I jailbroke my iPhone was back in 2008 with my Original iPhone. I think I might have to once again revert back just so that I can hide Newsstand, along with other useless apps Apple insist on adding without the ability to remove them (Yes Contacts app, I'm talking to you).

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
The last time I jailbroke my iPhone was back in 2008 with my Original iPhone. I think I might have to once again revert back just so that I can hide Newsstand, along with other useless apps Apple insist on adding without the ability to remove them (Yes Contacts app, I'm talking to you).

Just create a folder and place there all the Apple useless apps you want.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008

You want to jailbreak your phone just so you can get rid of a couple of apps you happen not to like? And while you may not like Contacts, I really wouldn't call it useless.

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Excellent News

We've used the tools without a hitch for several months (Boxoffice Weekly).

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Flash

Will it be flash based? ;)

Adobe's purchase of Macromedia made them lazy.

Is this new Suite a paid upgrade for premium or master collection 5.5 owners?

Or do you need to have their new subscription service?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
But the cost…

Is there anything out there to allow organisations to publish free iPad materials (for example, a school newsletter) via newstand or something equally user-friendly? Ok, so the news letter would just be a PDF at this stage but hopefully the Pages app will embrace digital publishing some more and it would be cool to have a delivery system better than an email.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
You can not put Newsstand inside of a folder since it acts like a folder already.

I'm just confused why Newsstand has to be part of the OS and not be an optional download like iBooks.

exactly. its literally the only app on my home screen that is never used/opened. I hate having it non removable.

emulator

macrumors 6502a
You want to jailbreak your phone just so you can get rid of a couple of apps you happen not to like? And while you may not like Contacts, I really wouldn't call it useless.
When you/me/she/he make a statement, it's your/my/her/his personal opinion. If I say that iOS has more useless than useful apps, do I also have to say every time "in my personal view" to make it obvious?

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Is there anything out there to allow organisations to publish free iPad materials (for example, a school newsletter) via newstand or something equally user-friendly? Ok, so the news letter would just be a PDF at this stage but hopefully the Pages app will embrace digital publishing some more and it would be cool to have a delivery system better than an email.

Newsstand is not an app. Newsstand is a "gathering" place for all your newspaper and magazine publications. You must first create an app and then you insert code which tell iOS "hey, put me in newsstand." Other stuff has to happen behind the scenes too for things like the changing icon and push notifications but in a nutshell, that is how you accomplish it. So you must be a developer and then create an app to put on the app store.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I've never jailbroken but I would seriously considering doing it so I can hide stuff like that. Including Contacts which you can view in the Phone app just like it is in the Contacts app.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Whoa! Wait! Adobe support on something Apple? Now that's something!

Adobe has been a big supporter of Apple since the beginning. Illustrator and Photoshop were born on the Macintosh Computer. And although their ties have strained in recent years, they haven't broken.

octover

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Sweden
Mag+ the software behind Popular Science+ is on track for publications to be able to start taking advantage of all the newsstand features as soon as iOS 5 is GM. There may be some last minute bugs with the GM, but publishers should be able to build a newsstand enabled update to their app in the window before GM and public release to be in the store and newsstand from day 1 of iOS 5.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
[...] Newsstand is a "gathering" place for all your newspaper and magazine publications. You must first create an app and then you insert code which tell iOS "hey, put me in newsstand." [...]

Does this mean I could hypothetically buy a mag sub on Zinio and have it show up in Newsstand? [EDIT: Probably not, as it seems the subscriptions would come from the App Store, directly from the publishers...correct?]

Would be nice to have a desktop version of Newsstand for OS X as well, rather than the AIR app Zinio uses. [EDIT 2: I guess, Newsstand is not even a reader nor do we currently have magazine subs on the Mac App Store so, er, scratch that as well...? Oh well back to Zinio then.]

Last edited:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

You could also move the app to the very last page on your springboard. You never need to see it again.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.