Adobe's Thoughts On Flash

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Peace, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And they still wonder why hasn't Apple adopted it to iPhone OS yet? :rolleyes: The biggest and worst malware is the Flash itself, even OS X cant fight against it!

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The funny thing is that it affects every single OS known to man. Except iPhone OS. :D

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yeah, I guess OS X isn't much better :

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4004

Seriously folks, crank up the maturity. Every vendor announces security updates once in a while.

It's going to be seriously a funny day on Macrumors when Apple finally ships Adobe's 10.1 Flash plug-in for iPhone and Steve says "I think Adobe got it just right now, and of course, while our users wait for all the great improvements of HTML5, there's no reason to lock them out of the content out there today".

The spin is going to be amazing.

5. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Gee, that's never EVER happened with Safari, or OSX, or Mail, or iChat....

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  8. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2, 9.0.262, and earlier 10.0.x and 9.0.x versions for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Solaris
    Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.3.2 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX.

Flash 9 came out in 2006. FOUR years ago. I wouldn't call that regular.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Microsoft had vulnerabilities discovered recently that have been 16 years old. Maybe in 10 years some guy will find a Tiger vulnerability.

Adobe do regularly find and fix security issues, nice one that they caught too. If anything this is testament to Adobe's commitment to improvement.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have to say for this--and other stability reasons, I'm real happy with ClickToFlash that I installed a month or so ago. Oh--I've also discovered I very seldom ever need to click.

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yeah I to use Click2flash, goes to show how little Flash matters on the web anymore. Most websites seems to have adapted to better coding.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I use NoScript on Firefox. There's more and more Flash content out there that I need to selectively allow or not.

Sure there are less sites that use it for navigations, but more and more sites use it for content (games/videos/animations). As it should be used.

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I don't really play FaceBook games and such so I don't know about that, videos well Youtube and Vimeo has HTML 5 support and it works great. Animations is 99% ads which I don't care for.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

There are ads on the web ? Really, news to me. There are plenty of Flash animations out there that aren't ads. I'm a long time newgrounds lurker. Love wasting my time there.

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Doesn't affect Android as it has a newer version (10.1.61.68).

I guess we're lucky! :p

16. teebag macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to get hold of Acrobat reader 8 ?
    Apparently reader will be fixed 29th June, so I'd rather downgrade in the meantime.

In fact, why does the Adobe site still let you download v9 - surely they should be offering v8 until the issue is resolved :confused:

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

As if OS X doesn't have any major security flaws. Even iOS has a history of major security flaws.