iPad Adonit Jot Pro on iPad (air)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Marc0, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Marc0 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

After purchasing the new iPad air I'm looking for a Stylus to use with it and need some help deciding which one to pick.

I will mostly be annotating pdfs or taking notes in class and have been thinking about ordering the Jot Pro. I would like to know about your experiences with this sylus on the iPad (air).
    May main worry is the scratching of the screen as I'm not using a screen protector. Is the scratching really a big issue? I definitely don't want to use a protector on the screen.

Or can anyone recommend me another stylus that is equally good at writing and doesn't cost a fortune? Most of the others seem to be fine for painting but when writing the thick tips should be bothering.

Thanks for your help,

2. davetheduck macrumors member

Sorry, I'm unable to help with your stylus query as I font have one but what app do you use to annotate your PDFs?

thanks

3. Marc0 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't decided yet but it'll either be iAnnotate PDF which a friend highly recommended to me. Or PDF Expert which seems to be more popular.

4. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

Scratching, my concern as well...

I recently wrote a review here (with a number of links included): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post17601931

If you're new to using a stylus, I can imagine your thoughts about the tip thickness. Don't worry, the Maglus (to name one) is both thick and heavy. But it's weight means you have to push less - and when you focus on the writing moves rather than the exact position of the tip, you're good to go.

Best of luck!

5. rbarry macrumors newbie

I use the Jot Pro; it will scratch the hell out of your screen, so don't use it without a sacrificial screen-protector. The tip will also lose conductivity over time, resulting in the lines "skipping" as you write.

Still, it's definitely the best-feeling stylus I've used. You can usually correct the tip problem with an occasional dab of dielectric grease between the tip and the body. The precision of the handwriting, and the weight of the pen, make it feel close to ordinary writing in feel.

6. Marc0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so far.
    I was hoping for s.o. to tell me the scratching wasn't an issue :)
    Otherwise the jot pro appears to be exactly what I'm looking for...but this is a deal breaker.

Any other suggestions styluses which provide a good writing experience? To me it is important that writing precisely is possible. Me handwriting on paper already isn't the most legible...

@GerritV: thank you, but your link doesn't seem to work

7. fatalle macrumors newbie

There you go http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17601931#post17601931

I also want a stylus for writing. Check out the Adonit Jot Script, it's very expensive tho.

8. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

Sorry for the bad link, and thanks to fatalle for correcting.
    You could check the GoSmart. Also, the Procreate.si forum has a subforum dedicated to styli - lots of interesting thoughts in there, even when it's mostly about drawing.

9. Marc0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks your review really helped a lot! Also the GoSmart looks interesting.