Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I was waiting to buy a machine until they dropped to about 2500. They hit $2525 but when I discovered on Jan 1 they now collect sales tax.

Anyone aware of any merchants that can offer that price without sales tax? Even ebay collects sales tax now :(

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
As mentioned, this is likely a new tax law passed by your state government. All these sites are now legally required to collect sales tax for purchases in your state.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Had a sinking feeling it was coming sooner or later, which is why I elected to buy a new 16" now instead of waiting for a late-summer refresh. B&H was already in state tax compliance, so it was only a matter of time before Adorama followed suit.

Now, at least with with B&H, you can sign up for their store card that will reimburse you for state taxes as a statement credit. I'm afraid that's about as close as you're going to get to a tax free store going forward. Supreme Court pissed on everyones tax free party.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Not a state law. It applies to all states due to a ruling by the supreme court. Sales tax will be collected by all on line retailers as of Jan 1, 2020. Unless you live in a state that has no sales tax or buy from a military exchange, you will now have to pay sales tax on items you order.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Technically speaking you were always required to pay the tax, its just now the retailers are required to collect it, instead of the consumer reporting it on their tax returns ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

B&H is doing something unique, in that if you use their credit card, they will rebate the price to a degree where the tax is offset., so a 2,499 product will cost you 2,499

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Technically speaking you were always required to pay the tax, its just now the retailers are required to collect it, instead of the consumer reporting it on their tax returns ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

B&H is doing something unique, in that if you use their credit card, they will rebate the price to a degree where the tax is offset., so a 2,499 product will cost you 2,499

Not sure if it is worth the saving if B&H still has the no return when opened unless defective policy.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Only on computers, I've returned camera gear without any issues.

Ok. But this is a computer forum:)

Second, a lot of camera gear is not wrapped in protective film on purpose to let people handle them and play with them in a store. I have bought online from a camera store a "new" $2,500 lens that had dirt in the groves of the focus adjustment ring. It went back before I even mounted it to my camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

logan_redroxx

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
I was waiting to buy a machine until they dropped to about 2500. They hit $2525 but when I discovered on Jan 1 they now collect sales tax.

Anyone aware of any merchants that can offer that price without sales tax? Even ebay collects sales tax now :(
Yeah, I did notice that couple of days back. Glad that I bought my macbook pro 16 inch last december & saved about $240 on tax. Now B&H are the only option to go with but the catch is you can use the cash back only with them. Or wait until Adorama come up with an alternative like B&H.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I live 20 mins from Delaware.... I’m very thankful for it

Apple really ought to open a second larger store.Best Buy needs to open a third and or forth store as well

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I live 20 mins from Delaware.... I’m very thankful for it

Apple really ought to open a second larger store.Best Buy needs to open a third and or forth store as well

Apple has been smart enough to open Apple Stores over the border from sales tax states in my state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.